mysql regular expression

lenerd3000

hello,

anyone here knows this problem?

i have phone numbers in my database and there's 3 formats

1. (555) 235-6589

2. 125 246 4256

3. 124.265.1545

my problem is how can i compare my input from my phone number. i need a unique phone number in my database. what if the inputted format is 265 568 5659 how can i compare it in a phone number with this format 265.568.5659 or (265) 568-5659. i know how to get numbers in the inputted data but i dont know how to get numbers from the database's phone numbers so that the comparing of the two data will be all number like this 2655865659 = 2655865659.... any good idea for this problem? i appreciate it most.

It's never too late to clean things up :) You're essentially going to be doing the same process, the only difference is whether the database itself is modified or not.

Perhaps something like:

SELECT REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(phone, '(', ''), ')', ''), '-', ''), '.', ''), ' ', '') AS phone;

this is my expression:

select '858-659-5595' REGEXP '?[\(]858?[\)]?[\-\. ]659?[\-\. ]5595'

but it produce this error:

#1139 - Got error 'repetition-operator operand invalid' from regexp

my only problem is how can i tell the regexp the parenthesis () is optional. the rest is ok only the parenthesis part is not.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.