above can only equal true or false

$value="hello world";

if (ctype_alpha("$value")==true)

{echo "Good Job";}

else

{echo "WTF?";}

output=> Good Job

Thanks to both of you!

I didn't realize there is a regex section of the board. I will have to use that in the future.

I need a regex expression. I'm actually not testing for alphabetic characters to tell the truth, I'm testing for Japanese kana, so the three functions in the previous post wont work. But I didn't think anyone here would know how to write regex expressions for Japanese, so I'm just going to substitute from a regex expression.

Thanks for the help everyone. I managed to get my code working. I thought it would be as simple as substituting the first and last katakana (one of the Japanese alphabets) into the English regex, but it wasn't. In the end, it was this code that did it for me:

if (mb_ereg('[。-゚]', $string))
{
echo "string is katakana";
}
else
{
echo "string is not katakana";
}

I don't imagine that many people will need this code for anything, but I thought I would post it here in case someone searches for it sometime.

Note: This works in EUC-JP encoding. I don't know and doubt that it will work with other encodings (Shift_JIS and utf-8 for example)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.