and the output will be

I love cat

I love dog

2.How do I do this

page.php?action=members&user

or

page.php?action=login&pass&user

or somting like that

1. Yes. Try it out. Every time you run the assignment operator on a variable, you effectively overwrite the previous value.

2. First off, to retrieve information from the URL, you need to use the $_GET global. This is an array that is set up in PHP to automatically return any parameters passed via the URL. However, based on your sample, I would definitely encourage you to never pass user information such as password, SSN, etc through the URL. Always use POST (and preferably a secure server for the SSN and any other personal info). Check out this page of the PHP manual for details on the predefined variables including $_GET.

I know that, but how do I do this

?action=page&somthing

In and of itself, that sets the variable something but doesn't assign a value to it, so it's pretty much worthless. If you are attempting to assign multiple values to a single variable, you may want to do something like this:

URL: index.php?cat=1,2,3,4

<?php
$cats = explode(',', $_GET['cat']);
?>

Arrays are great for storing lists of similar things.

eg colours are similar, with just different names:

<?php
$colours = array("Red","Orange","Yellow","Green","Blue","Indigo","Violet");

print "In the rainbow the colours are:";
foreach ($colours as $key => $value)
{
  print "<li>$value</li>";
}
?>

Obviously not too useful, but what if you make an array with all the countries in the world, or states in america, or maybe months in a year. How about car manufacturers?

If someone wants to sign up to your site, you can have a drop-down box with a list of all the countries in the world, using a similar loop to the one above. Or you could have the same for car manufacturers.

Say you made a website for a garage, and wanted a set of checkboxes

<?php
$extras = array("pas"=>"Power Assisted Steering","alloys"=>"Alloy Wheels","CD"=>"CD player","SUN"=>"Sun Roof");

print "Which extras do you require?";
foreach($extras as $key => $value)
{
print "<input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"extras\" value=\"$key\" />$value<br />";
}
?>

Would produce

Which extras do you require?

[ ] Power Assisted Steering

[ ] Alloys

[ ] CD Player

[ ] Sun Roof

And if there were 50 extras, it would save you a fair bit of typing making all those input fields.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.