htmlentities() htmlspecialchars() question. (yes, I read the manual)

frijole

both of these functions encode the HTML tags, but, I don't understand what the purpose is? you encode them, and them when you use them again just decode them? I would appreciate if someone could give me some insight into this, or maybe just an example. thanks.

For example, if i had a form..

If someone entered ">Script Error

<input name="form" type="text" value="<?php echo $name; ?>" />

My form would break and script error would be on the website.

However

<input name="form" type="text" value="<?php echo htmlentities($name); ?>" />

The script error would be still inside the form and it wouldnt break.

as far as i know there is no "decode_htmlentities()". the purposes of the functions is to ensure that plain text characters like greater than, less than, etc. don't screw up the form presentation when they are used in a form element. as mentioned, if you echo a less than sign in a form element, chances are good that it will screw up the form element. i think the worst are single and double quotes.

You don't have to always encode it. You encode it when you want to output user input.

Example- this very forum- our messages may contain html, but obviously we don't want the html we write in our messages to be interpreted as html, we simply want other to see exactly what's written. So if I write </html> our browsers won't think it's part of the html code, because SMF uses htmlentites() on the posts (check the source if you want to, you'll see < and >)

Orio

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.