3 replies to this topic

#1 Ph0enix

Ph0enix
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:17 PM

Hi, i know how to select a row of data by using this: $sql = "SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY id DESC";
But how do i select a whole column, so i would have the users name and their information.
And i would like for it to be displayed just simple like this:

Ph0enix England 14/03/1990 Male.

Could anyone help me to do this please?
Thanks
[url=http://www.slimphoenix.com][/url]

#2 toplay

toplay
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 973 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:28 PM

Click on the [a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31047&view=findpost&p=153359\" target=\"_blank\"]PHP F.A.Q.[/a] link. Find and read the MySQL Data Retrieval section for example code of getting data from MySQL with error checking.

#3 Ph0enix

Ph0enix
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:36 PM

wow theres a lot of stuff there. Thanks
But i find things easier to take in if you could tell me and give me an example cause im a noob.
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]PHP Newbie Help[/quote]
Could you explain it please?
[url=http://www.slimphoenix.com][/url]

#4 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:58 AM

a row goes this way <--------- -------------->

a column goes this way

/\
|
|

|
|
\/

this query:
$sql = "SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY id DESC";

will select everything both ways in your table, in reverse numerical order, ordered by id.

if you want to select just one row, based on the user's id, then do this:

select * from table where userid = '1'

this will, for instance, select all the information where the user's id is 1. the idea is to put a variable in place of the 1, in order to dynamically retrieve data from the database. for instance:

$id = 1;
$sql = "select * from table where userid = '$id'";

the "*" is a wildcard that selects all the column data in the row you are selecting. you can select individual colums by naming them instead of the * like so (assuming you have a column named username):

$sql = "select username from table where userid = '$id'";

Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users