Submit data via form > Into MySQL > Displayed on site?

BAD311

So a while back I had a friend who coded a way for members of my website to submit data via an online form, and when they clicked submit the data was processed and saved in a MySQL database, then the data was displayed on the website either immedietly, or once "I" approved the content that was submitted. I then did this with an admin page that was nothing more then a blank page with some regular click buttons and then the data that someone submitted was displayed in regular tables on the admin page.

My question is - How and/or where would I go to learn how to do this???

For the sake of things here, I will assume that you know absolutely nothing about web development/design at all. If you do, then good. Ya got a head start.

What you see on screen is a combination  of HTML, CSS & JavaScript. Web Design starts here.

Google for some tutorials, and go over them.

The next step of PHP/MySql is all about dynamic database driven content. This is where Web Development come into play. The core fundamental of this is:

1. Accepting Data from User

2. Validating/Manipulating/Securing Data

3. Storing Data in Database

4. Retrieving and displaying stored info

Start with HTML/CSS combo first. Those are the foundation of Displaying Data on the Web. HTML, is the code to display the basic images & text and the CSS is there to control how it looks and how it is laid out.

Google is abound with tutorials with this stuff.

check out www.lissaexplains.com, it was written for kids but is really good for starting at step 1 and going from there. It was actually recommended to me almost 10 years ago when I first started tinkering with HTML.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nate

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Also, thanks Nate for the info and comments :-).

I've actually been "getting by" with HTML, CSS, and other various coding methods for years without needing to advance myself into the dark realms of PHP. But now the time has come, and when it comes down to designing a website that has a lot of features that I want, and either a) no one can do them or b) they want to charge an arm and a leg for them, I throw up my white flag and take the plunge into learning hardcore PHP. I know it will not be simple, but once I design my first site with many many many many difficult features, I'll be very well prepared for the next task thrown at me.

I want intense stuff on my new website, and all of my website clients always want a "press release posted" or "a picture added here"

But I want more then that, I want a site that can handle user logins that then allow a user to surf the site, check his user email, upload photos to the site, post in the forums once they login anywhere else on the site, post comments to blogs, yadda yadda yadda.

BUT I do NOT want a blog! I want somethng that combines a blog + forum + news (using RSS) + user photo galleries yadda yadda yadda...

Something like www.cardomain.com for example.

Woo, I got my work cut out now!

Thanks guys :-)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.