un-md5 something

jesushax

if there is such a term

when editing my users

ive md5'd the id

but to show the records of the user where UserID='".$ID."'"

i need to get the querystring back to orginal id as it obvisouly wont find the md5'd version in my db

Cheers

if there is such a term

when editing my users

ive md5'd the id

but to show the records of the user where UserID='".$ID."'"

i need to get the querystring back to orginal id as it obvisouly wont find the md5'd version in my db

Cheers

All you need do is use something like.... where UserID='". md5($ID) ."'"

You cannot undo an md5.

think of MD5 as one-way you can't undo it,

its mainly used for passwords, for example

just say md5("helloworld") = "ABCDE123458"

Now i can't convert ABCDE123458 back to helloworld but i can re-create ABCDE123458 using helloworld

now in your example i assume you have an ID in the database ie 1,2,3,4 etc and your passing the ID via get but hashing it first.. now what you can do is MD5 the field ID and then compare ie

"SELECT * from `table` where MD5(ID) = {$_GET['ID']};";

so instead of un-MD5-ing your MD5 your existing results to match!

make sense ?

You are going to have another problem with your query. MD5 values are not unique. There are a limited number of different md5 values and several different starting values give the same md5 value.

In a query where you are checking for something like a unique username and a md5 of a password, the unique username will find the correct record and then the comparison of the md5 of the password will tell you if they entered the correct password.

Doing a query using only the md5 value will potentially return multiple rows, so you what you are currently doing is a non-unique identifier and cannot be guaranteed to always work.

It would probably be quicker to include the MD5'd ID in the database, if you're going to search it via MD5.  Otherwise your DB will have to hash and compare each of the IDs as it searches, which is going to be slower than just comparing strings.

Why are you hashing the user IDs?

you dont need to md5 or hash the id in the database just base64_encode it

it good enough for any normall user mate........

<?php
$redarrow=123456;

$res1=base64_encode($redarrow);
echo " encoded $res1 <br>";

$res2=base64_decode($res1);

echo " <br> decoded $res2 <br>";
?>

But still, I'd rather take sha512 - whether it's part of PHP or not - over md5. I couldn't decrypt it, nor crack it - but then I'm not in the habit of finding rainbow tables etc. I did stumble upon a site that had a lot more hashes than I was expecting. Looked like google, and it had the hash for what I consider to be a very strong  password. Fair enough with salting it's more secure, but I'll still leave MD5 alone. Too many people too intent on finding every possible hash for my liking.

Just found this topic, looks good at face value.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,186699.0.html

Sha1 and md5 are fine for now, but to be as future-proof as possible, I'd take others first.

If someone really wants to, they can just as easily build a rainbow table for sha512. It will be 4x larger in size, but with TB hard drives in the $250 range, that's no longer an issue.

That's the thing about rainbow tables... the bit length really doesn't matter. Security through obscurity will be broken.

Finding the original plain text of a well salted md5 is harder than a pure-sha512 hash, assuming both rainbow talbes are available

(i'm no longer in the underground scene, but it really would surprise me if there was one available for sha512)

<?php
function hash_password($password)
{
$salt = "m2cCksLreG12";
$pass = $password;
for ($i=0; $i < 10; $i++){
	$pass = sha1(md5($pass . $salt));
}
return $pass;
}

echo hash_password("supersecret");   // a3400f8e72116cba59ab23bd1974b565a31e13b9
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.