Help with creating hyperlink.

cdoyle

Hi,

I'm not sure if this should go in the php forum of the mysql forum.  Hope this is the right place.

I'm trying to create a page, that displays the cities a player can go to. 

What I want to do is have the name of the city be a hyperlink.  When the link is clicked it updates the 'level' field in the 'players' table.

Then display a message saying you've traveled to 'whatever city they clicked on'

here is what I have so far, which displays the proper cities for a player depending on their level.  The problem I'm having is, I'm not sure how to make it so city names are links, that update the table.

<?php
$querycity = $db->execute("SELECT * FROM Cities Where $player->level >= Minimum_Level");
echo "<table width=\"100%\">\n";
echo "<tr class=\"cellheader\"><td><div align=\"center\">Wanna Go Somewhere do ya?</div></td></tr><tr>\n";
echo "<td><div align=\"center\">Here are the cities that you can go too.</div></td></tr><tr>\n";
echo "<td>\n";
while ($getcity = $querycity->fetchrow())
echo $getcity['City_Name'] . "<br />";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

?>

example only...

<?php
$querycity = $db->execute("SELECT * FROM Cities Where $player->level >= Minimum_Level");
echo "<tr class=\"cellheader\"><td><div align=\"center\">Wanna Go Somewhere do ya?</div></td></tr><tr>\n";
echo "<td><div align=\"center\">Here are the cities that you can go too.</div></td></tr><tr>\n";
echo "<td>\n";
while ($getcity = $querycity->fetchrow());
echo "<a href='page.php?cmd=go&id=".$getcity['city_id']."> ".$getcity['City_Name']. "</a> <br>";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){

//update the database. where id='."getcity['city_id']
}
?>

re vamped code sorry trie this..........

remember to use the id name in the database as i guessed.........

<?php

echo "<td>\n";
while ($getcity = $querycity->fetchrow());
echo "<a href='page.php?cmd=go&id=".$getcity['city_Id']."> ".$getcity['City_Name']. "</a> <br>";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){
$sql="UPDATE set level='$level' FROM cities WHERE id='".$getcity['City_Id']."'";
$sql_result=mysql_query($sql)or die (mysql_error());
echo " ".$getcity['City_name']." Updated!";
}

?>

Cool Thanks!

I was just working on the update part, thank you for doing that for me.  My version wasn't quite like that, so I'm sure it would have caused an error :)

I just tried it, and for some reason it's not displaying the cities anymore.

I'm not sure why tho, it looks like it should..

try this mate no good at class sorry...

all i done is add a loop brace

while ($getcity = $querycity->fetchrow()){

cheek my spelling sorry...

<?php

echo "<td>\n";
echo "<a href='page.php?cmd=go&id=".$getcity['city_Id']."> ".$getcity['City_Name']. "</a> <br>";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){
$sql="UPDATE set level='$level' FROM cities WHERE id='".$getcity['City_Id']."'";
echo " ".$getcity['City_name']." Updated!";
}
}
?>

It doesn't seem to be working and I'm not sure why.

Here is what I have

<?php

echo "<td>\n";
echo "<a href='drive.php?cmd=go&id=".$getcity['City_Id']." > ".$getcity['City_Name']. "</a> <br>";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){
$sql="UPDATE set City_ID='$City_ID' FROM Players WHERE id='".$getcity['City_Id']."'";
echo " ".$getcity['City_Name']." Updated!";
}
}
?>

right now, it's only listing out the first row in my cities table.  Where before it would list out the 2 cities I have in the db.  But your select query looks almost the same as mine.  So not sure why it's not pulling both, like it was before.

but the link it does show, doesn't want to update the City_ID field within my Players table.  (sorry I just noticed I said level field in my first post, I was thinking of something else, and just typed level).  The URL it points to is odd too,  is this is how it should look?

/CAC_Mafia_Life/drive.php?cmd=go&id=%20%3E%20CAC%20Downtown%20District%3C/a%3E%20%3Cbr%3E%3Ca%20href=

What I don't under stand is, the link it displays is 'SEattle' which is the first row in my DB

CAC Downtown District is the name of the city in the second row?

This line

echo "<a href='drive.php?cmd=go&id=".$getcity['City_Id']." > ".$getcity['City_Name']. "</a> <br>";

What page should I reference there?  the page I'm putting this code is drive.php, so I should put drive.php there right?

I'm also not sure what $City_ID is?  It's a variable right?  But where is this line pulling that from?

$sql="UPDATE set City_ID='$City_ID' FROM Players WHERE id='".$getcity['City_Id']."'";

I have a feeling I'm just misinterpreting what fields are which, and once I fix it, this will work.

I've been playing with this some more, and just can't get it to work.

does the code I posted above look right?

I just can't figure out why it's only displaying 1 city now, and then the link it displays doesn't seem to be right.

I messed with it some more, and if I change the <a href line to this

echo "<a href='#?cmd=go&id={$getcity['City_ID']}'>{$getcity['City_Name']}</a><br>";

It will go back to displaying both rows in the table, like it should.

When I move my house over the link, it gives me a URL like this.

drive.php#?cmd=go&id=1

Does this look right so far?

I'm still unclear what to put down as a link?  It's really not going to another page, I just want the links to update the field and then display the message 'you've traveled to 'name of city'

Right now when I click on the link, it's not doing anything.  It doesn't update the field, and it's not displaying the message.

So I'm guessing that there is something not right here?

if($_GET['cmd']=="go")
{
$sql="UPDATE set City_ID='$City_ID' FROM players WHERE id='".$getcity['City_Id']."'";

Here is my entire code

<?php

echo "<td>\n";
echo "<a href='#?cmd=go&id={$getcity['City_ID']}'>{$getcity['City_Name']}</a><br>";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go")
{
$sql="UPDATE set City_ID='$City_ID' FROM players WHERE id='".$getcity['City_Id']."'";
}
}
?>

hmm,

Something else I just realized,  I haven't told it to only update the currently logged in player.

Shouldn't I have a $player->City_ID somewhere in the update query? 

or something like that?

Like I did in the select query?

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I'm stuck.

I got it to display both rows again like it's suppose too.

But now not sure how to make it actually update the players location?

I'm pretty sure I need a $players->City_ID or some variable in the update to make only that players location?

try this please cheers.............

<?php

$querycity ="SELECT * FROM Cities Where $player='level' >= 'Minimum_Level'";
$result1=mysql_query($querycity);

echo "<td>\n";
while ($getcity =mysql_fetch_assoc($result1)){
echo "<a href='".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?cmd=go&id=".$getcity['City_ID'].">".$getcity['City_Name']."</a><br>";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){

$city_id=$_POST['City_Id'];	
$city_id=mysql_real_escape_string(($getcity['City_Id']));

}
}
?>

try this please cheers.............

<?php

echo "<td>\n";
echo "<a href='".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?cmd=go&id=".$getcity['City_ID'].">".$getcity['City_Name']."</a><br>";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){

}
}
?>

I just gave it a try, and get this error

mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

on line 25

Line 25 is this

OK,

I changed my select query a little to this

$querycity = "SELECT * FROM Cities Where $player->level >= Minimum_Level";

and the error goes away, but it goes back to only displaying 1 record, and when I put my house over the hyperlink.  I get this URL again  it looks it has my HTML tags in it, I see TD, TR etc.

http://www.caraudiocentral.net/CAC_Mafia_Life/drive.php?cmd=go&id=1%3ECAC%20Downtown%20District%3C/a%3E%3Cbr%3E%3C/td%3E%3C/tr%3E%3C/table%3E%3Ca%20href=

Ok, the last time it wouldn't display all the records, and also displayed all the HTML in the link it had to do with the A Href line.

could it be the same issue this time?

Is there anything here I should fix?

anyone why this wrong did i write the code wrong tell me

user needs help cheers...

the page should update accoring to url........

<?php

echo "<td>\n";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){

}
}
?>

all i can think off

<?php

echo "<td>\n";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){

$city_id=mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['City_Id']);	

$sql="UPDATE set City_ID='$City_ID' FROM players WHERE id='".$_GET['id']."'";
exit;
}
}
?>

:(

I'm still getting this error

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/caraudi/public_html/CAC_Mafia_Life/drive.php on line 25

Is there way to attach documents on this forum?  I don't see an attach icon?

I was going to attach my page, not sure if it would help but thought I would post it just to make sure.

Here is my whole page as it is right now

<?php
/*************************************/
/*           ezRPG script            */
/*         Written by Khashul        */
/*  http://code.google.com/p/ezrpg   */
/*    http://www.bbgamezone.com/     */
/*************************************/

include("lib.php");
define("PAGENAME", "Wanna Go Somewhere?");
$player = check_user($secret_key, $db);

include("templates/private_header.php");
?>

<?php

$result1=mysql_query($querycity) or die(mysql_error());

echo "<td>\n";
echo "</td>\n";
echo "</tr></table>\n";

if($_GET['cmd']=="go"){

$city_id=mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['City_Id']);	

$sql="UPDATE set City_ID='$City_ID' FROM players WHERE id='".$_GET['id']."'";
exit;
}
}

?>
<?php
include("templates/private_footer.php");
?>

I noticed the select statement is different then what I originally came up with.  How is the above different from this?

This will give me all criteria met rows in the cities table, but they are not links and don't do anything.

I tried to echo it out, and it actually displays

'"SELECT * FROM Cities Where $player='level' >= 'Minimum_Level'";'

on the screen.

This is really weird, and I just don't understand it.

If I use this select by itself

$querycity2 = $db->execute("SELECT * FROM Cities Where $player->level >= Minimum_Level");

and echo it out, it gives me the correct cities from the cities table.

But..

If I use that same select, in the code that you helped me with it doesn't give me the same results?

but even with the cities it does list, if I click on them.  It doesn't update the players city location.

I know we have to be so close to making this work, it has to be something small that we aren't seeing.

as far as i know, neither of these is valid SQL (and they are not the same, either way):

SELECT * FROM Cities Where $player='level' >= 'Minimum_Level'

SELECT * FROM Cities Where $player->level >= Minimum_Level

what is $player='level' or $player->level supposed to be?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.