MySql - producing statistics

nibbo

I have a MySQL database for order processing and I would like to produce a statistics page for the owners web pages.

Basically I want to say how many orders exist and their status for each order type.

Something like:

Order TypeNumber at status 1Number at status 2Number at status 3

Annnnnnnnnnnn

Bnnnnnnnnnnnn

etc...nnnnnnnnnnnn

Totalnnnnnnnnnnnn

Obviously I can retreive each order and accumulate the statistic in a loop but I feel there must be a better way.

Anyone know of the best (and most efficient) way to produce this kind of data?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks both;

I looked into subqueries and they did not seem to offer anything from an efficiency point and probably look more confusing than accumulating things manually.

A 'pivot' table you say... I will have a look at these and see.

As for the sample data; it is a purchase order processing system with quotations also.

So we have basically two order types P=Purchase Orders and Q=Quotes.

These can each have three different settings; 0=new; 1=partially complete; 2=complete.

I want to output a table showing:

Order Type      New            Partial            Complete

Purchases            n                  n                    n

Quotes                n                  n                    n

As I said I can happily select all and accumulate manually but that just seems naff and I am sure there must be a cute way of doing it.

Thanks a lot.

<?php
$sql = "SELECT `order_type`,
COUNT(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='0' AND `order_type`='P') AS `new_p`,
COUNT(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='1' AND `order_type`='P') AS `part_p`,
COUNT(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='2' AND `order_type`='P') AS `comp_p`,
COUNT(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='0' AND `order_type`='Q') AS `new_q`,
COUNT(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='1' AND `order_type`='Q') AS `part_q`,
COUNT(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='2' AND `order_type`='Q') AS `comp_q`
FROM `table`";
?>

Something like that? I don't know even know if that will work.

I'm SURE there is a better way.

So like?

<?php
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='0' AND `order_type`='P' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `new_p`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='1' AND `order_type`='P' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `part_p`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='2' AND `order_type`='P' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `comp_p`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='0' AND `order_type`='Q' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `new_q`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='1' AND `order_type`='Q' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `part_q`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='2' AND `order_type`='Q' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `comp_q`
FROM `table`";
?>

Thanks again for all contributions but I still can't see that any of these are any better that just accumulating manually.

I have done:

$sql = "SELECT OrderType, OrderStatus FROM orderheader";

$Orders = mysql_query($sql)

or die("blah blah");

while ($Order = mysql_fetch_object($Orders)) {

if ($Order->OrderType == "P") {$NumOrders[$Order->OrderStatus]++; } else {$NumQuotes[$Order->OrderStatus]++; }

}

Anyone see a problem with doing it this way or think of anything better?

TIA

So like?

<?php
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='0' AND `order_type`='P' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `new_p`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='1' AND `order_type`='P' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `part_p`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='2' AND `order_type`='P' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `comp_p`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='0' AND `order_type`='Q' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `new_q`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='1' AND `order_type`='Q' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `part_q`,
(SELECT `status` FROM `table` WHERE `status`='2' AND `order_type`='Q' GROUP BY `order_type`) AS `comp_q`
FROM `table`";
?>

No, I meant SELECT status, order_type, count(*) from `table` group by status, order_type.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.