Sessions to Cookies

Helminthophobe

I've got a site setup with user accounts. I used a tutorial online to get the account system to work, which I can't seem to find again. It uses sessions, which of course causes issues for those that don't like to be required to login every time they visit the site. I've never used cookies before and as such I have no clue how I can change sessions to cookies. Can anyone help me?

This is the code at the top of all my pages:

<?
session_start();
include "conn.inc.php";

if ($mode == "logout")
{
$_SESSION['user_name'] = "" . $_SESSION['user_password'] = "";
}

if ((isset($_SESSION['user_name']) && $_SESSION['user_name'] != "") || (isset($_SESSION['user_password']) && $_SESSION['user_password'] != ""))
{
$logged = "logged";
}
else
{
$logged = "unlogged";
}
?>

This is the login code and the way I am displaying content on other pages:

<?
if ($logged == "logged")
{
if ($row1['active'] == 0)
	{
	echo "<p class=\"title\">OGame Database Login and Tools</p>";
	echo "<p class=\"body\">You are logged in " . $row1['user_name'] . ".</p>";
	echo "<p class=\"body\">There are a number of tools available on the site that range from calculators to report formatters. You can access each by clicking one of the icons below \"TOOLS\" on the menu.</p>"; 
	include "includes/new.php";
	}
	else
	{
	echo "<p class=\"body\">Use the icons below the Home icon on the menu to continue navigating the site. You can view or edit your user account information, view or edit your OGame account information, or simply check out some data.</p>";
	echo "<p class=\"body\">There are a number of tools available on the site that range from calculators to report formatters. You can access each by clicking one of the icons below \"TOOLS\" on the menu.</p>"; 
	}
}
else
{

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
$query = "SELECT user_name, password FROM user " .
	"WHERE user_name = '" . $_POST['user_name'] . "' " .
	"AND password = (PASSWORD('" . $_POST['password'] . "'))";
$result = mysql_query($query) 
or die(mysql_error());

if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 1) {
	$_SESSION['user_name'] = $_POST['user_name'];
	$_SESSION['user_password'] = $_POST['password'];
	header ("Refresh: 2; URL=" . $_POST['redirect'] . "");
	echo "<span class=\"body\">You will be redirected in 2 seconds.<br />(If your browser doesn't support this, <a href=\"" . $_POST['redirect']. "\">click here</a>)</span>";
	}
	else
	{
	echo "<p class=\"body\">The OGame Database is still in development. You may register and login, but you can't access the database yet. Please check back soon.</p>";

echo "<span class=\"body\"><font color=\"#FF0000\">Invalid Username and/or Password</font><br />Not registered? <a href=\"register.php\">Click here</a> to register.<br /><br /></span>";
	echo "<form action=\"index.php\" method=\"post\"><table width=\"95%\" border=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\" cellpadding=\"3\" class=\"body\">";
	echo "<tr>";
	echo "<td width=\"20%\">Username:</td>";
	echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"user_name\" class=\"form_format\"></td></tr>";
	echo "<tr>";
	echo "<td width=\"20%\">Password:</td>";
	echo "<td><input type=\"password\" name=\"password\" class=\"form_format\"></td></tr>";
	echo "<tr><td colspan=\"2\" align=\"center\" valign=\"middle\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Login\" class=\"form_button\"></td>";
	echo "</tr></table></form>";
	}
}
else
{
if (isset($_GET['redirect'])) {
	$redirect = $_GET['redirect'];
	}
	else
	{
	$redirect = "index.php";
	}
echo "<p class=\"body\">The OGame Database is still in development. You may register and login, but you can't access the database yet. Please check back soon.</p>";

echo "<form action=\"index.php\" method=\"post\"><table width=\"95%\" border=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\" cellpadding=\"3\" class=\"body\">";
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td><input type=\"text\" name=\"user_name\" class=\"form_format\"></td></tr>";
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td><input type=\"password\" name=\"password\" class=\"form_format\"></td></tr>";
echo "<tr><td colspan=\"2\" align=\"center\" valign=\"middle\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Login\" class=\"form_button\"></td>";
}
}
?>

I'm very new to PHP so forgive me if the code has errors or could be done in a more simple manner. Thank you for any assistance provided.

Try this: (I've included a nice dropdown with some options for how long or 'don't remember me')

The Login:

<?
if ($logged == "logged")
{
if ($row1['active'] == 0)
	{
	}
	else
	{
	echo "<p class=\"body\">Use the icons below the Home icon on the menu to continue navigating the site. You can view or edit your user account information, view or edit your OGame account information, or simply check out some data.</p>";
	}
}
else
{

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
$query = "SELECT user_name, password FROM user " .
	"WHERE user_name = '" . $_POST['user_name'] . "' " .
	"AND password = (PASSWORD('" . $_POST['password'] . "'))";
$result = mysql_query($query) 
or die(mysql_error());

if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 1) {
	$uname = $_POST['user_name'];
	$upass = $_POST['password'];
	$sessiontime = "time()+".$_POST['login_time'];
	setcookie("user_name", $uname, $sessiontime);
	setcookie("user_password", $upass, $sessiontime);

header ("Refresh: 2; URL=" . $_POST['redirect'] . "");
	echo "<span class=\"body\">You will be redirected in 2 seconds.<br />(If your browser doesn't support this, <a href=\"" . $_POST['redirect']. "\">click here</a>)</span>";
	}
	else
	{

echo "<span class=\"body\"><font color=\"#FF0000\">Invalid Username and/or Password</font><br />Not registered? <a href=\"register.php\">Click here</a> to register.<br /><br /></span>";
	echo "<tr>";
	echo "<tr>";
	echo "<tr>";
	echo "<td width=\"20%\">Login Time:</td>";
	echo "<td>
				<select name=\"login_time\" class=\"form_format\">
					<option value=\"600\">10 Minutes</option>
					<option value=\"3600\">1 Hour</option>
					<option value=\"43200\">12 Hours</option>
					<option value=\"86400\">A Day</option>
					<option value=\"1209600\">Two Weeks</option>
					<option value=\"0\" selected>Don't remember me</option>
				</select>
		</td></tr>";
	}
}
else
{
if (isset($_GET['redirect'])) {
	$redirect = $_GET['redirect'];
	}
	else
	{
	$redirect = "index.php";
	}

echo "<tr>";
echo "<tr>";
echo "<tr>";
	echo "<td width=\"20%\">Login Time:</td>";
	echo "<td>
				<select name=\"login_time\" class=\"form_format\">
					<option value=\"600\">10 Minutes</option>
					<option value=\"3600\">1 Hour</option>
					<option value=\"43200\">12 Hours</option>
					<option value=\"86400\">A Day</option>
					<option value=\"1209600\">Two Weeks</option>
					<option value=\"0\" selected>Don't remember me</option>
				</select>
		</td></tr>";
}
}
?>

The Access Check script on each page:

<?
include "conn.inc.php";

if ($mode == "logout")
{
$_COOKIE['user_name'] = "" . $_COOKIE['user_password'] = "";
}

if ((isset($_COOKIE['user_name']) && $_COOKIE['user_name'] != "") || (isset($_COOKIE['user_password']) && $_COOKIE['user_password'] != ""))
{
$logged = "logged";
}
else
{
$logged = "unlogged";
}
?>

I appreciate the help but it doesn't seem to work. Normally when you log in, the script reloads the page and based on whether or not the account is activated, you get certain content. When I use the code you posted, the page reloads like it's suppose to but it displays the login form again. I don't understand how the code works so I don't know how to troubleshoot it. Any thoughts?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.