facebook - code. caching?

phorcon3

so, here are a few lines of code i got off the website facebook

http://static.ak.facebook.com/rsrc.php/73253/js/props.js?58:73253

and

http://static.ak.facebook.com/rsrc.php/58024/css/notes_html.css?58:58024

what are those numbers for at the end of the url? caching?

and what is rsrc.php? is it a caching program?

all i could find on rsrc is:

Contains a library of data used by a Mac OS application; used for developing programs for Mac OS 9 and earlier

dont know if that has anything to do with what facebook is doin.

yah, well, sorry but i forgot to add the <script> & <style> tags ..which would make it a line of code, id assume

and thats obviously why i asked "what are those numbers for at the end of the url?"

but thanks neway...

ps, the code could be viewed under this url.. but i still cant figure out what those numbers actually do.

A lot of sites put randoms numbers on the end of the URL to keep them from being locally cached in the browser. Each set of numbers is seens as a different page to the browser, so it won't load from cache.

that makes no sense at all because there is a simple header derivative that prevents caching of a page.

The numbers are most likely used to help you cache a page in a fashion similar to how GET is used to make search query results bookmarkable and indexable vs. POST based results.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.