insert statements

fallenangel1983

Hello,

I have a table on a server with 8 columns named the event table. In php and html i am giving the user the ability to create  row of this table. However my problem arises as i only want to update certain columns NOT all 8. For example i only want to insert new data into 4 of the columns. so how would i update those specific colmns rather than the entire table?

I cannot find a tutorial specific enough to help me. can anybody here?

i know that i use: "insert into events where...... values(....... but that does not put them into specific columns.

any help would be appreciated. Cheers

thankyou for your reply but i dont think the rows are created. The TABLE is created but there are no values inside it to update.

What i am trying to say is that if i use the query = "select * from events;" it shows nothing.

It is for that reason that i do not think the update query will work.

can i use the insert statement into specific columns? e.g.

Insert into events (blah,blah,blah) values (newvalue,newvalue,newvalue);

and if so how would that statement be worded?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.