encypt a .css

phppaper

Not unless you do something complex.

Why do you want to encrypt it? No body is going to steal it. It makes about as much sense as tying to encrypt HTML.

Besides, if someone really wants your css, changes are that they will figure out a way of decrypting it.

Chris

Anything that gets displayed by a browser can be looked at and copied ... it is why it is called "browser side".

You shouldn't worry about people stealing your css or html.

a: I personally consider it flattering.

b. I never leave my css or html alone for more than a few months anyway. There is always a way to improve it, new and better techniques are always coming out, converting pages from transition doctypes to strict and making older markup semantic, and of course, 99% of every web page can always be optimized for true accessibility (which is real a bitch to do!).

You can't protect your html, css, or javascript code. Not even people with far larger, far better, far more well known, and far more technically impressive sites can protect their code. Part of how people learn front-end web development is by looking at the source, copying it, modifying it, playing around with it, etc. It's inevitable. But that is different from theft.

If someone completely rips off all your code and just makes absolutely minor alterations, it will most likely be found out and there are places like this - www.pirated-sites.com/ - that try to name and shame. Plus, these pirates are often so poor at pirating that they will leave your email address (or something equally stupid) lying around in the code.

It is also a good idea to comment your files to include your name and a copyright statement (saying "don't steal my code!"), as well as have one in the footer of your website, just to try and dissuade possible theft.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.