Getting started with MVC

stuffradio

I'd like to start using the MVC pattern and try to understand it fully. I do understand the concept... but I'm trying to grasp how I would put that down in code.

I want to make my framework modular, so this is an idea on how I'm going to lay it out.

Folders = --

Files = -

-- config

- config for the system

-- docs

-doc files

-- images

-- image stuff here

-- modules

-- module name

- module files

-- pages

- page1.php

- page2.php

- index.php

etc.

Do you have any ideas on how I should start working out the bare bones of the structure?

I started on the same endeavor this week. In fact, I already mentioned throwing up the code for another guy on the forums.

Right now it's about as bare bones as it gets. The core is functional, but I do have a couple more things I want to add before I call it complete. Anyway, here's how I went about it:

base - this is the base system that includes my code

Libraries - class files used to build the base

Loader.php - invokes the system and stores objects in a cache so that 1 instance can be shared

Router.php - responsible for sending and receiving requests between model, view, controller

Template.php - class used for generating the views (templates) and caching

URI.php - class used for parsing/storing the URI requests that come in

cache - cached files generated by the view get stored here

ext - this is the extension of the base... actual user contributed code goes here

Controllers - this is where controllers go

Models - this is where models go

Views - this is where views go

I've got a few more files laying around, but the above is what does the majority of the work. Like I said, I've got a few more things I want to do (mainly documentation) then I'll throw up the code and you're welcome to do whatever you want with it. I'll then wait eagerly for comments... and of course criticism on how I've developed things :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.