[SOLVED] Select fields between 2 dates

johnadamson

Hi,

I am trying to develop a booking system in PHP with MySQL but I am having trouble writing some code that checks to see if a new booking clashes with another. e.g. in the database I have a booking that runs from 2008-03-10 to 2008-03-20. When I add a booking I want to check to see if a booking already exists between these dates. Is this possible?

I am not an expert with MySQL but the closest I got is to carry out 2 query's:

SELECT propertyid, arrival_date, departure_date FROM bookings WHERE arrival_date BETWEEN '$arrival_date' AND '$departure_date'

and

SELECT propertyid, arrival_date, departure_date FROM bookings WHERE departure_date BETWEEN '$arrival_date' AND '$departure_date

but this obviously will not check if a booking is made in between these dates, e.g. if I try and add a booking from 2008-03-13 to 2008-03-18 it will not think that there is a collision of booking.

I hope I have made sence and not confused anyone.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

sorry, I'm a bit out of it today... you can simply combine both of those where clause with an OR.

WHERE ( arrival_date BETWEEN '$arrival_date' AND '$departure_date' ) OR ( departure_date BETWEEN '$arrival_date' AND '$departure_date )

sorry, meant to say that it thinks there is NO collision of bookings! surely there must be a query that checks to see if the new arrival and departure date is not in the database??

I also tried doing:

SELECT propertyid, arrival_date, departure_date FROM bookings WHERE ( arrival_date BETWEEN '$arrival_date' AND '$departure_date' ) OR ( departure_date BETWEEN '$arrival_date' AND '$departure_date' ) AND (arrival_date >= '$arrival_date' AND departure_date <= '$departure_date')

but that didnt work either.

HELP

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.