rounded corners

dannybrazil

this is one that best practice would sugget you leave to css3 - as it has the ability to utilize images for borders or multiple background images.

OK OK only a few browsers will support it now BUT it would encourage people to start using those browsers and make web development much nicer again...

After reading transcending css I no longer bend over backwards to provide such 'insignificant' style aspects to my site that require a disproportionate amount of work to achive in various browsers. Give the world what it absolutely needs then gives those with the sense to use a good browser all the sweeties that reward their efforts of using a good browser - others will catch on quickly enough....

indeed there are - BUT ultimatey what we need is the ability to achieve with purely css.  We want rounded, smooth corners without the need for extraneous html...

rounded corners are relatively easy to achieve but we NEED them to be even more simple - just a css property and notihng more that works cross browser. Until such time as vendors are FORCED to produce browsers that do adhere to the standards we will forever need to hack, hack and hack away to get what is essentially nothing but a little bit of eye candy...

I agree fully. But until such a time when enough people are using browsers that support this, we are left with having to add extra markup for rounded corners. But if that's what your client (or yourself) wants, then that's what needs to be done.

Agreed - BUT imagine if you didn't!!! If you could persuade your client that you should only provide it for those who use 'good' browsers.

Stick a little notice up saying something like 'this site is years better using safari or opera' and provide a download link, other sites do the same; people may just start to realize their web experience can be so much better and the death of ie6 will come about SOOOO much quicker...

I understand clients say stupid stuff like 'I want exactly the same in every browser on every OS - pixel perfect'...

we know that can't happen BUT if advocate the use of browsers more standards compliant than IE and educate as to the need for such then in the medium to long term we will be on a winner - and so will the visitor.  Provdie the core aspects of the site and make the rest (style, document effects etc.) an incentive for users of the 'better' browsers.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.