MP3 Nightmare

drisate

Hey guys ... I am currently making a website for a music distributor in Quebec ... He wants a website with an admin panel where he can add new albums and upload the music. He would like the program to automatically create a demo of 10 seconds ... but I don't think PHP has a build in function for that ... so I was wandering if anybody has a solution on how to do that ... Using flash could be great ... but the music would then be to easy to retrieve ... If it's not 100% secure he can't use it.

Let see what the freaks has to say.

you can use players made by flash to play mp3 files (some are free other not) i get one but it is primitive

just Google flash mp3 players and get alot.

and about getting 10 seconds from the file i think FFmpeg is great option for that. look at the help.

hope that helps.

Like i said i know i can use a flash player but anybody can decompile it and get the link to the MP3 or even get the MP3 it self ... thats not a secure way at all ... I know he can cut the music him self but thats the extra step he would like to avoid ... He would like thats toll to do everything out of 1 upload. If ever thats possible ...

nobody has a problem with a 10 second sample - thats why he wants to make one!

The answer has already been given ffmpeg - for this you will need it installed on your server and be able to call it via exec in php...

shout if you need help doing that...

STOP!!!!

the full mp3 will never get anywhere near the flash player!!!!

Upload the mp3 to a secure folder (above the web root). On upload use ffmpeg/mencoder to create a 10second sample of the mp3 and store this in a 'samples' library with suitable naming convention. The flash player can then just go and play these short clips and the full files can be made available when purchased...

Flash has NOTHING to do with what you are attempting other than playing the mp3s. As has been pointed out - it can be decompiled SOOOOO don't do anything in flash that could result in your protected material being made available to all and sundry...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.