Images put into a scrollable area

Rayne

What i'm trying to do is create a dynamic button header...  Basically, depending on how many files are in a particular folder the site should display that many buttons... from 1 to 100+ if needed. 

I know how to read the files using php (readdir()) and to count the number of files fine, thats not a problem.  But when i try to create too many buttons my site cant handle it.

What i want is a scrollable area where the buttons will be placed.  So if the number of buttons is too great to display on the page at once, the user needs only scroll to find the rest of the buttons.  Kind of like a textarea but with pictures inside! 

How would i do this??? 

Thanks Andy B...

Had to tweak the overflow so that i could get horizontal scrolling using "white-space: nowrap;" but it seemed to work.

A quick question though... it seems that that the scrollbar appears at a different place on firefox and IE??  Any reason why this is and if its possible for me to state where the scrollbar should be positioned? 

Strangely it appears perfectly on IE and annoyingly low on firefox!?  Who knew IE would work better than firefox????

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.