Query Error

haku

I'm having a problem with the following query:

SELECT seminars, uploads, full_access FROM authorization WHERE user_id='103' LIMIT 1

I get the following error:

Database query failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'FROM authorization WHERE user_id='103' LIMIT 1' at line 1

I'm having a stupid moment, because I keep looking at that query, and it keeps looking entirely fine to me. Can someone else maybe point out what is wrong with it?

Zenag: thanks for your help, but using * when retrieving data from the database is *not* a recommended technique. Its overkill - you are pulling every column out of a table, rather than just the ones you need. I suggest you look at my original query to see the proper way of doing it.

Uniflare: Thanks for your help as well. The quotes around column names are not necessary, and in fact I didn't end up using them.

In the end, my problem was my own stupidity (end of a long day of work - brain was

shutting down). The query I posted was entirely right, which is why I was so confused. I was just having a stupid moment - the query I posted wasn't the one generating the error  ::).

Zenag: thanks for your help, but using * when retrieving data from the database is *not* a recommended technique. Its overkill - you are pulling every column out of a table, rather than just the ones you need. I suggest you look at my original query to see the proper way of doing it.

This is VERY true and I see too many new devs writing queries like this.

Even if selecting every col, it's better to do

SELECT `col1`, `col2`, `col3`.... ect.

Because SELECT * requires the db to grab the list of columns and THEN perform the query.

thanks for that info disco and haku :). i needed every column in my request i dint know it would cause such an overhead ;)

the backticksare useful for compatibility, i'm sure new and old version have different "key" words, so using backticks would prevent mysql from giving an error ;) - this is what i have learned as i have made many queries which worked on one bit not the other when i did not use backticks :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.