[SOLVED] Order results by one field, then by another.

pocobueno1388

I'm creating an online users script. What I'm trying to do is display moderators at the top of the list, and then all the others members after them, which I have working fine. The problem is that it orders the moderators from highest ID to lowest. I would like it to go lowest to highest.

I have a users table, and a moderators table. I don't think I need to post the structure to the tables as it should be clear when you see the query.

SELECT
   u.userID, u.username, m.userID as modID
FROM 
   users u
LEFT JOIN 
   moderators m
ON 
   m.userID = u.userID
WHERE 
   last_active > (NOW() - INTERVAL 5 MINUTE)
ORDER BY 
   modID DESC, u.userID

To get the moderators to appear at the top, I have no choice but to do "ORDER BY modID DESC". If I put ASC instead, they appear at the bottom.

I know I could easily do this with two separate queries, but if it's possible with one, that would be better. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Okay, the null values are now changing to -1, but it's still not going in the correct order.

Updated query:

SELECT 
   u.userID, u.username, IFNULL(m.userID,-1) as modID
FROM 
   users u
LEFT JOIN 
   moderators m
ON 
   m.userID = u.userID
WHERE 
   last_active > (NOW() - INTERVAL 80 MINUTE)
ORDER BY 
   modID ASC, u.userID

This displays the moderators in the correct order, but they are at the bottom of the list. If I put DESC instead of ASC I get the same exact result I started with.

Did I follow your directions correctly?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.