help with slashes!

mikefrederick

I cannot figure out how to do the slashes on $xx for this:

onmouseover="return thistitle('<div align=\'center\' class=\'boxtitle\'><?=$xx;?></div>');"

$xx="<a class='readmore' href='javascript:void(0);' onclick='window.open(\'events_view.php\',\'Events View\',\'width=300, height=300, scrollbars=no\');'>(read more)</a>";

Basically it is third level apostrophes I need to figure out...I tried the heredoc method, couldn't figure it out...any help is appreciated. Maybe addslashes? I dont know.

you can just do something like

<?php

$code =<<<HTML

<a href = "http://www.google.com">Google.com</a>

' '' '' '' '  '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ' ' ' "  '  " " " ' ''  " " " ' 

<a class='readmore' href='javascript:void(0);' onclick="window.open('events_view.php','Events View','width=300, height=300, scrollbars=no')";>(read more)
HTML;
?>

The addslashes() function should not be used when sending information to the browser to be interpreted.

Can you tell us the context in which you're using these lines?

onmouseover="return thistitle('<div align=\'center\' class=\'boxtitle\'><?=$xx;?></div>');"

<?php
$xx="<a class='readmore' href='javascript:void(0);' onclick='window.open(\'events_view.php\',\'Events View\',\'width=300, height=300, scrollbars=no\');'>(read more)</a>";
?>

Ken

if i did what the conker said it would end the function with the first '.

phpsensei i don't really understand the heredoc method, could you help me out a bit more

Facilitates the quoting task

Example

<?php
$sql_insert_photo =<<<EndSQL
INSERT INTO collection (title, major_category, subcategory,
                      location, event_date, collection_dir)
       VALUES ('{$VALS['title']}',  '{$VALS['major_cat']}',
              '{$VALS['subcat']}', '{$VALS['location']}',
              '{$VALS['date']}',   '{$VALS['unique_path']}');
EndSQL;

?>

sure....

<?php if($desclen>100) {
$descr.=substr(htmlentities($fetchdates['description']),0,100)."...";
$descr.= addslashes($xx);
} else {
$descr=htmlentities($fetchdates['description']); } ?>

i have a link that onmouseover uses the overlib function:

<a  href="calendar.php?id=<?=$fetchdates['id'];?>" onmouseover="return overlib('<div align=\'center\' class=\'boxtitle\'><?=$fetchdates['title'];?></div><div class=\'times\'><?=$times;?></div><div class=\'boxmain\'><?=$descr;?></div><div class=\'boxtype\'><?=$type;?></div>', STICKY, 'refmark<?=$date;?>', ANCHORALIGN, 'UR', 'UR', CAPTION, '<?=$topofbox;?>');" onfocus="this.blur()"><?=$fetchdates['title'];?></a>

i tried without success:

<?php
$descr.=<<<TEST
<a class='readmore' href='javascript:void(0);' onclick='window.open(\'events_view.php\',\'Events View\',\'width=300, height=300, scrollbars=no\');'>(read more)</a>;
TEST;
}

i tried without success:

<?php
$descr.=<<<TEST
<a class='readmore' href='javascript:void(0);' onclick='window.open(\'events_view.php\',\'Events View\',\'width=300, height=300, scrollbars=no\');'>(read more)</a>;
TEST;
}

you dont need the slashes anymore, thats the whole point of it.

<?php
$descr=<<<TEST
<a class='readmore' href='javascript:void(0);' onclick="window.open('events_view.php','Events View','width=300, height=300, scrollbars=no');">(read more)</a>;
TEST;

echo $descr;
?>

The javascript also has an invalid arguement

try

<?php
$descr=<<<TEST
<a class="readmore" href="javascript:void(0);" onclick="window.open('events_view.php','Events View',width=300,height=300)">(read more)</a>;
TEST;

echo $descr;
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.