Sessions in databases instead of files

Xeoncross

Ok, I build my $_SESSION's to use a MySQL database instead of flat files because 1) it is more secure and 2) it makes them available from any server than can access the DB. However, as of late I am questioning my choice.

First, I have a API file that would run a LOT quicker if I didn't have to load my small DB abstraction layer and connect to the database just to use sessions for quick things like ajax requests.

Second, I am trying to use a SWF unloader that ONLY sends $_FILE data and nothing more (sad really, no $_POST/$_GET data or anything!).

So to solve the second problem I am trying to use javascript to add the session_id to the URL when the file is sent so I can just grab it from the URL, clean it, then set it as the current ID.

<?php
if (isset($_GET['PHPSESSID']) && sanitize_text($_GET['PHPSESSID'])) {
        session_id($_GET['PHPSESSID']);
}
?>

I am having trouble getting my idea to work.

So my question is - Am I thinking about this the right way? Is there anything else that might make this easier?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.