where to start looking

Justafriend
Go to solution Solved by ginerjm,

ive been looking around and every tutorial information i get is to show  data in two fields linked now my problem is i have a table with multiple fields adnd need to show it  in one list   to give you an idea of what im talking about

Table is like this

Winner       2nd   place    3rd place     3rd place2

player a       player b         player c      player d

player h       player f          player e       player g

now what i need to know what  to look for is to get it so that  the list would be like this

Player a

player b

player c

player d

player e

player f

player g

player h

looking for something to work from any help on what in php i should look for to accomplish this i would be greatly appreciated

While it doesn't make sense to me yet  (your table structure) I'm guessing that you have two rows of data there and you have absolutely no rhyme or reason for how you want them arranged.  That means you will have to hard code them the way you want them.  Unless you can show us some more data that one can use to organize these items.

Edited by ginerjm

ok heres a screen shot of my table structure and the reason  im doing it is 1st 2nd and 3rd place finishers get a tourney of champions invite and have a page where players can see if they qualify  so in this example

Host Date_Time PlayersCount Winner WinnerEmail SecondPlace SecondEmail ThirdPlace ThirdEmail ThirdPlace2 ThirdEmail2

_Sarge_  (Misfit_Sarge) 9/1/2014 17:30 48 sajoma   TM7_Tik   Atlfan   TM7_CROSS  

Teams 9/1/2014 17:30 NULL LangueDOC   TM7_sundgo   hard_space   sparkzzzz  

Teams 9/1/2014 17:30 NULL BRs_BAD_Vera   TM7_crazykarma1   CGS__im__da_1   clover310  

Teams 9/1/2014 17:30 NULL BRs_ronycezar   tm7_mygoodness   CGS_PopMuzak   Misfit_Storm  

Venture (Dust) 9/1/2014 4:00 9 mokan40   CGS__im__da_1   Booo    

_Muts_ (_DJ_Muts_) 9/1/2014 5:00 13 EU_IT_mirejo   sajoma   TM7_crazykarma1    

_Smoke_ (racing_2425) 9/1/2014 7:00 28 PRO_milagros   A_Baddboy   I_DontPlay   mtlaw  

TheEgg (__Eggy__) 9/1/2014 10:30 18 BikerChick   TM7_LOVIN_LIFE_   Rustedfish      

_Muts_ (_DJ_Muts_) 0000-00-00 00:00:00 12 BigCube   Reemo   Tiger_Ladybug66      

Sweetheart_ (Booo) 9/1/2014 13:30 22 Atlfan   ComeDanceWithMe   happybear      

PeRe (__mina) 9/1/2014 15:00 26 J1moyer   Rustedfish   Atlfan   PAL_GR_glikoula  

PeRe (__mina) 9/1/2014 16:00 12 sajoma   DancingDice   UBG_Arielle      

ulysses (dj_lia) 9/2/2014 4:00 11 mokan40   Melyn   _Antoinette_       Sweetheart_ (Booo) 9/2/2014 5:00 16 alireza_mis2004   Spring_Chicken   UBG_Jansii      

_Smoke_ (racing_2425) 9/2/2014 7:00 19 Gyzmo   Litigolfer   xxBIGDAVExx      

Venture (Dust) 8/31/2014 4:00 13 PhantomMask   mokan40   Imagdrider                                                  

i need toi post to the website automatically this list

_Antoinette_

A_Baddboy

alireza_mis2004 

Atlfan

BigCube

BikerChick

Booo

BRs_BAD_Vera

BRs_ronycezar

CGS__im__da_1

CGS__im__da_1

CGS_PopMuzak

clover310

ComeDanceWithMe

DancingDice

EU_IT_mirejo

Gyzmo

happybear

hard_space

I_DontPlay

Imagdrider

J1moyer

LangueDOC

Litigolfer

Melyn

Misfit_Storm

mokan40

mtlaw

PAL_GR_glikoula

PhantomMask

PRO_milagros

Reemo

Rustedfish

sajoma

sparkzzzz

Spring_Chicken

Tiger_Ladybug66

TM7_crazykarma1

TM7_CROSS

TM7_LOVIN_LIFE_

tm7_mygoodness

TM7_sundgo

TM7_Tik

UBG_Arielle

UBG_Jansii

xxBIGDAVExx

Hope this clarifys

Edited by Justafriend

ok heres the long and short of it  the  reason im using it as it is  is i have 3 tables might be able 2 cut to 2  but the way its used is its the master input  from one text form  which takes a standard text area like

Nojoks's Tourney Bracket Tool Version 1.2.1.84
Tournament:  ********jammin2-3 format
Date:  09/05/2014
Day:  Friday
Scheduled Start:  3:00 PM PST
Actual Start:  6:08:05 PM
Closed:  6:17:48 PM
Host:  Habs4Stanley (lookingfor25)
Number of Players:  9

1st place:  sajoma
1st place email:  
2nd place:  happybear
2nd place email: 
3rd place:  Nomodez
3rd place email: 

START POINTS
DancingDice 1
real_chainsaw 1
TR_INT_JHONNY 1
victor54 1
nanatravels 4
TM7_SassyChick 4
Nomodez 11
happybear 19
sajoma 28
lookingfor25 10
STOP POINTS

places the players date and points in one table

gives all the top information in the 2nd  and 3rd is an email table which  takes the information from this

1st place email:  
2nd place email: 
3rd place email:

and puts it in an tabole with date email and player name

this information is used to update 3 pages  email list from email table   which i have working great

points page the sum of each players points in the given month works great

the only one im having an issue with is the email list which is  why im here

If you stop using your MySQL DBMS as somewhere to store spreadsheets and normalize your data, using DB tables correctly, then your problem becomes trivial.

http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/273634-best-way-to-set-up-tables-when-multiple-values/?do=findComment&comment=1408360

i appreciate your input on this matter but please ask before assuming we have  about 50 tournamants a week all hosted by different hosts so im useing the  dbms amd php to gather information from a form and to automatically  update the information  with php   soo i dont have to quit my job   to do this for free  to update the webpages each 6 to 7 times a day  now i could be wrong and please feel free to correct me if i am  but isnt this a job that php and mysql is meant for  so that a person can avoid having to manually update their webpage every time new data is submitted and to gather information to organize it in a central location online  so multiple people have access to the information  if im wrong on that i am sorry but to me that is exactly what php and mysql is for  and not just a simple spread sheet

You have misunderstood Barand's reply completely. You are storing the data in the database in an inefficient manner.

If you set up your tables correctly all you'd need to do is run a simple query like this

SELECT name FROM players

To get all the names of all the players.

But you are storing the data as a spreedsheet. This is not the correct way to store the data in mysql. The Winnners, 2nd place and third place entry details should not be stored in columns.

Each player should entered as a separate row in the table. You'd then have a single column which will then denote the players finishing position in the tournament. Then all you'd need to do in order fetch the top 3 players by winning order would be

SELECT name FROM tournament ORDER by position DESC LIMIT 3

i apologize for the misunderstanding barrand ok long story time i  know i got ripper oon payinf got the code and that is who set up the structure and i have tried multiple times to rewrite the form the way to make it easier but to pay someone to do it or to commit the time to totally rewriting and learning the code is  not worth it really for me as i  am starting from scratch trying to learn mysqli but the problem is i need to implement the code in a site way before ill be able to sit down and learn it all so i have been scratching codes together as i can   and learning along the way  but basically  right now the issue is i get a  tourney format form that submits this info into 3 tables
Nojoks's Tourney Bracket Tool Version 1.2.1.84
Tournament:  ********jammin2-3 format
Date:  09/05/2014
Day:  Friday
Scheduled Start:  3:00 PM PST
Actual Start:  6:08:05 PM
Closed:  6:17:48 PM
Host:  Habs4Stanley (lookingfor25)
Number of Players:  9

1st place email:  
2nd place email: 
3rd place email: 

START POINTS
DancingDice 1
real_chainsaw 1
TR_INT_JHONNY 1
victor54 1
nanatravels 4
TM7_SassyChick 4
Nomodez 11
happybear 19
sajoma 28
lookingfor25 10

STOP POINTS

i highlighted in  colours to make it easier to explain and where the data goes

Red goes in to the  points and tourne report   tables

Navy Goes into the tourne report and  email   tables

Blue goes into the tourne report table

and orange goes in points Table

from this  i need a few pages which most i have already done scraping code together to understand  and learn as i go

Email page a list of emails that has ever been used in our tourney group from the email list cause of a similar problem im having as with the toc  list

the tourne report table puts on a diff page so i copy and paste for the paperwork required

the points table   totals each players individual points for the month and  posts them wich is now working

and finally a toc list which i have got working kind of i have it so that it shows in multiple rows  but isnt in a single toc list its all over the place with ordering and such i used the code that i got ripped off with to get it semi working but now im at an impass why i was gonna start from scratch that was why i was just asking for a hint on where to look  just really frustrated  and ready to  start from scratch so this code will never be a headache for me once i fully understand mysqli

• Solution

Your data is a bunch of gibberish.  You are getting good advice on developing a proper RDBMS but you are refusing to see that.  Until you put your data in a proper structure you are going to have difficulty doing anything with this.

In your first reply you made mention of that you could reduce your # of tables from 3 to 2 perhaps.  In fact you should probably be increasing the # of tables in order to make it proper.

Every event entrant should be place into a table with his name and personal info (contact, age, sex, etc. and player_id)   You can do this with just one occurrence of a player's name regardless of how many tourneys he/she enters.

Every event should go into a 2nd table with all the info about that tourney - name, dates, location, etc. and an event_id.

Every entry from a participant should go into a third table with a record for that player having his player_id and event_id and the division he is entering (dbls, sgls, over 40, under 15 etc).  Depending on how many different divs there are this can be expanded to have a division table with a div_id to link back to this entry record.

Now you write a query to get things by selecting data from the appropriate table using an event id or a player id or a division id and join them in your query and order them as you wish. 

By separating your data into distinct tables/purposes you can then write a query that grabs what you need easily, depending upon your sql knowledge.

Doing it the way you are is disaster around the bend.

i do understand that  to clarify this is done at an online gaming site not real life and age and such info isnt requiired for that and do understand that it will be difficult  the format i posted where everything is coming from is a standard text  output from our   tourney hosting tool software so  taking that bit of software and making a form that  goes as  far as you are talking about is gonna take me ages to redo now as   to age and such that is never used all we have is a player nick and sometimes email address and get about 1000 to 2000   different players a month  and there are no division basically its a backgammon tournament where each player enters the room and says in pls  we assign them and then at the end ask for their email for their toc invites  this is all done on a gaming site not in real life 

I got tired of trying to read your last post - too hard to follow your writing(?) style(?).

If you write php the way you write English it's going to be a long painful process for you to do this correctly.  You're right  - don't spend the time needed to do something the right way.  Keep on doing your sloppy way and good luck.  I'll be signing off this topic now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.