SEO questions

Stefany93

Howdy,

I am new to SEO. Could you please help me? banghead.gif

1. I like to post programming tutorials to both my website & various programming forums. Is that going to screw up my website's ranking in Google?

2. My editor of my history website who sometimes posts essays there also posts them in some history forums. Is that bad for SEO?

3. I made a Facebook page for my history website. It says there "Promote your page" basically you pay $5 for around 100 likes. Has anyone tried that? Does it work? Because $5 seems like little money for additional 100 likes which will increase the traffic considerably.

Thank you so much for the help!

Search engines like original unique content and will base the reliability of the source content off that.

If you were to copy content from another site it would be best to pass a canonical link to the other site as to not lower your score.

<link rel="canonical" href="http://originalsite.com/copied-content"/>

This should help your site not get penalized as having duplicate content or being a content aggregator.

In that same respect it's not helping your site either as the link to your article gets passed on to the original site.

Value as to your visitors is a bit different, if that's why they come to your site then have to weigh your options which benefits you more.

As for the facebook and likes, I've seen people pay for lesser methods to try and gain traffic to their sites, try it out, won't hurt.

• Like 1

Search engines like original unique content and will base the reliability of the source content off that.

If you were to copy content from another site it would be best to pass a canonical link to the other site as to not lower your score.

<link rel="canonical" href="http://originalsite.com/copied-content"/>

This should help your site not get penalized as having duplicate content or being a content aggregator.

In that same respect it's not helping your site either as the link to your article gets passed on to the original site.

Value as to your visitors is a bit different, if that's why they come to your site then have to weigh your options which benefits you more.

As for the facebook and likes, I've seen people pay for lesser methods to try and gain traffic to their sites, try it out, won't hurt.

Thank you so much!

I did not know you could get penalized from Google from having duplicate content!

What if an evil user copies my articles and posts them in a forum without my permission?

As you described, if your complete article is on another site there would be no need to go anywhere else. Those are things you should try to prevent.

People copying your content should be getting permission from you, if they don't you can make them remove it.

If they have automatic scrapers and you don't want them to copy it...block their server ip through htaccess.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359

It's a big issue others copying content, plagiarism checkers have been made.

http://smallseotools.com/plagiarism-checker/

The idea is to find some unique content in your article, then uses the search engines to see if there was any results.

I found this same article by doing an exact google search with "around 100 likes. Has anyone tried that? Does it work? Because"

http://forums.devshed.com/search-engine-optimization-108/moronic-seo-questions-965892.html

Search engines do not always follow the same rules, depends on the content, the site posting it, where the sources come from.

Take news articles as an example, I read the same articles a lot from news sites, they aggregate them from news api's.

Search engines still index them all even though they are all similar.

You can try and keep up with SEO and supposed algorithms, to me the most important about SEO is having metadata within the head of your page.

Normal meta data, opengraph or oembed even.

Every so often I see these "tricks" to rank higher or better SEO, some may work for a short while, but usually the search engines catch on and will make changes.

Creating pretty seo-friendly links helps more for sharing them other places, search engines can also find them other places and associate the link to the hyperlinked title as well.

An example

On your site the link may be Pet Hotel

You or someone else can share this link as Dog Grooming Service

Both links are the same, but now you added more to the title that could end up in a search if someone looked for dog grooming.

Adding additional data into the alt of the link could also help

The best thing you can do SEO purposes is to use the most important words the beginning of your titles and articles

Always have new and original content.

Try to prevent duplicate content and similar links within the same site.

I'll tell you a story my experience aggregating articles and duplicate content and how it reflects on search results.

I aggregated thousands of websites.

Every time websites made a new post or even edited it would update on my site.

Because my site was ranked higher than theirs 9 out of 10 times I would be before them in the search results, even ones paying google for rank and seo tools.

Usually a site like I had would be penalized, but since I was letting them crawl my new articles all the time and had many thousands new a day they let it go.

At the time I was helping search engines find content.

My site categorized and tagged articles automatic.

I was an extremely popular site and ranked high at the time.

I did not try to claim or own the articles and always posted the titles back to the originating site.

The content creators liked the traffic I gave them and would not want to ban my server.(pretty much what search engines do, except mine was a website)

I would truncate the articles content as to just give the reader a brief overview, to read the entire article would require them going to the original site.

So in the end, it did not matter if they clicked the link through the search engine or my site, they both took the person to the original location.

• Like 1

Regarding #1

- You can easily post programmering tutorials different places on the same subject. You just have to be sure that you do not write exactly the same thing in all articles. Google will se this a dublicated content and ponish you for it. But change the wording and add some extra content from article to article and you will be fine..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.