function wsProcessClientMessage($clientID, $opcode, &$data, $dataLength) {
global $wsClients;

// check opcodes
if ($opcode == WS_OPCODE_PING) {
// received ping message
return wsSendClientMessage($clientID, WS_OPCODE_PONG, $data);
}
elseif ($opcode == WS_OPCODE_PONG) {
// received pong message (it's valid if the server did not send a ping request for this pong message)
if ($wsClients[$clientID][4] !== false) {
$wsClients[$clientID][4] = false;
}
}
elseif ($opcode == WS_OPCODE_CLOSE) {
// received close message
if (substr($data, 1, 1) !== false) {
$array = unpack('na', substr($data, 0, 2));
$status = $array['a'];
}
else {
$status = false;
}

if ($wsClients[$clientID][2] == WS_READY_STATE_CLOSING) {
// the server already sent a close frame to the client, this is the client's close frame reply
// (no need to send another close frame to the client)
$wsClients[$clientID][2] = WS_READY_STATE_CLOSED;
}
else {
// the server has not already sent a close frame to the client, send one now
wsSendClientClose($clientID, WS_STATUS_NORMAL_CLOSE);
}

wsRemoveClient($clientID);
}
elseif ($opcode == WS_OPCODE_TEXT || $opcode == WS_OPCODE_BINARY) {
// received text or binary message
if (function_exists('wsOnMessage')) wsOnMessage($clientID, $data, $dataLength, $opcode == WS_OPCODE_BINARY);
}
else {
// unknown opcode
return false;
}

return true;
}

Okay, this is the code that processes the client messages.   It's extracted from here: http://code.google.com/p/phpwebsocket/ and I use it.

My problem is. I call a mysql select on a function via my websockets using this:

cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');

(The CB class just connects it to the socket and sends it off)

But I have a problem.  I can crash my own server, just by going into Google Chromes console tab and spamming this:

cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');cb.socket.send('LOOTITEM 2213123');

Then I press enter, and look at my console. And a shit ton of queries are instantly checked and then it pops and says:

33996f94672e498f0fd461dfa63989cb.png

So, this is way bad. Because people can just do this and crash the server. I need to limit the requests to atleast 1 second. Any idea?

Edited by Monkuar

Sounds like you have a bug in your wsBuildClientFrame function which is causing it to go into a recursion loop. You should address that issue before adding rate limiting.

To add rate limiting, you count the # of requests along with keeping track of a timestamp. On each request compare the current # of requests to the # at the last timestamp and see if it's above your limit. If so, deny the request.

Something like this

//$lastTimestamp = timestamp of last check
//$lastCount = whatever $count was at last check
$now = time();
$count++; 
$timeDiff = $now - $lastTimestamp;
if ($timeDiff > 1){ //Ensure timestamps have changed
   $countDiff = $count - $lastCount;
   $lastTimestamp = $now;
   $lastCount = $count;

if ($countDiff/$timeDiff > 5){ //if more than 5 requests per second
      denyRequest();
   }
}
  • Like 1

Sounds like you have a bug in your wsBuildClientFrame function which is causing it to go into a recursion loop. You should address that issue before adding rate limiting.

To add rate limiting, you count the # of requests along with keeping track of a timestamp. On each request compare the current # of requests to the # at the last timestamp and see if it's above your limit. If so, deny the request.

Something like this

$now = time();
$count++; 
   $lastTimestamp = $now;
   $lastCount = $count;

denyRequest();
   }
}

I see.

And for the denyRequest function just simply return or exit out the user?

And this issue wouldn't be prevalent if I were using a more modern approach, like socket.io/node.js correct?

Something like this

$now = time();
$count++; 
   $lastTimestamp = $now;
   $lastCount = $count;

denyRequest();
   }
}

Sorry to bump this thread, but I got a working version:

function wsOnMessage($clientID, $message, $messageLength, $binary) {
global $servername, $dbuser, $dbpassword, $dbname, $users, $db;

// anti flood protection
if($_SESSION['last_session_request'] > time() - 1){
// users will be redirected to this page if it makes requests faster than 2 seconds
echo "Limit Reached... Simmer down!";
return false;
}else{

echo $_SESSION['last_session_request'];
}

I got a working version working here:

My question is: That return false works but it will stop the whole script? Which if other users are using will stop them as well right? How do I only target the specific client and user instead?

Also, should I use microtime instead? 

You know, I can use "wsClose($clientID);" to kick them off. But what's stopping them from just refreshing?

Edited by Monkuar

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.