[SOLVED] url rewrite on a GET form????

dj-kenpo

is it possible to control the URL sent from a web form of the GET type?

write now I have my little search form, user types word(s) hits search, but instead of "http://domain.com/search.php?words=word1+word2" I'd like to take advantage of my htaccess and rewrite to

search/word1+word2.

I can do this easy in htaccess, but how do i get the FORM to send the url THIS way?

anyone with experience in controlling form urls?

thanks!

Hmm... you could use Javascript...

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>Search</title>
<script type='text/javascript'>
function search()
{
location.href = 'search/'+document.getElementById('search_query').value.replace(' ','+');
}
</script>
</head>
<body>

<h1>Search</h1>

<form action='search.php' onsubmit='search(); return false;'>
<label for='query'>Search query:</label> <input type='text' name='words' id='search_query' /> <button type='submit'>Search</button>
</form>

</form>

</body>
</html>

I'm already using htaccess, as I said, (that portion is fine) the problem is the get from not wanting to format the search string in any way but the default.. ugly way...

@Daniel

the javascript method is really smart, but I'd like to not corner myself is a user has javascript disabled...

No I meant use it for the form too....

For example:

you submit form and it goes to ?words=blah, but htaccess rewrites it to /search/blah....

The only problem would be, you  would have to be careful with when htaccess rewrote it ... again... so that it wouldn't get in a loop.

But the url data being sent to the browser turns into a request to the server, which htaccess can rewrite.

Edit: the first mod, taking the form data to another url, would be more of redirection, but it would have to involve rewrite....

I don't really get what you're saying, if you think it would work though and could back it with some sample htaccess code I'm all for trying it. what you're saying is a redirect and then a rewrite? if I understand at all? I still don't see how it would work, but form gets are rather different so i wouldn't be too surprissed if it worked somehow and I just overlooked something very basic...

Hmm, i could be way off - never used any sort of rewriting at all, but could you not have some intermediate php script which all your forms point to? So you submit your form to say, rewrite.php which takes all the variables from the form, rewrites them into the url you wanted, and redirects to that?

@Daniel

the javascript method is really smart, but I'd like to not corner myself is a user has javascript disabled...

In the script I provided, if the user doesn't have Javascript enabled, then it'll use a regular submit. If you rewrite /search/whatever to search.php?words=whatever then it'll work.

@Daniel

oh man, do I ever feel like a noob....

I'm no js guy so i didn't know it would still submit, the code works perfect! Thanks!

(I might be a little anal or paranoid, but still... I'd like to hide my structure as much as possible......)

The Javascript method works fine, but just incase.... The htaccess would look something like this:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^search\.php\?search=(.+)$ /search/$1/ [R]
RewriteRule ^search/(.+)$ process_search.php?search=$1

I haven't tested that, and I'm terrible at mod_rewrite stuff, but hopefully you get the idea....  You would use it something like:

<form action="search.php" method="GET">

<input type="text" name="search" /><br />

<input type="submit" value="Search!" />

</form>

When you submitted this form it would go to search.php?search=<what ever was in the box>.

Mod_rewrite would rewrite that in the address bar to search/<what ever was in the box>.... Mod rewrite would then, behind the scenes, rewrite that to process_search.php?search=<what ever was in the box>.

It's quite messy, and I would be surprised if what I posted actually works (like, seriously... I'm baaaddd at mod_rewrite stuff), but it could be something to consider.

(P.S.  I get what you were saying when you said that mod_rewrite doesn't work like that.... If it doesn't make a new request when the page was written in the second step, then it would stop and this would be pointless, but I'm fairly sure it makes a new request.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.