[SOLVED] PHP + Ajax VS ASP.NET + AJAX any opinions?

I have recently been introduced to the wonder that can be AJAX. As is I am a preferred php coder, and would like to keep it that way. From everything I read php can do anything asp.net can do. I'm not going to get into that whole enlarged debate, but point being I prefer php.

This being said I would very much like to stick to php. My complication lies in support for AJAX. Now I know AJAX does work with php. However when looking for examples of what AJAX can do I was able to find very lush visual examples that only seemed to be in asp.net. The php examples I found in theory could do the same I suppose, but I was unable to find any of those lush examples using php to work with AJAX.  ??? So the question came up is php equivalent in terms of power to asp.net when using AJAX. Or to restate can php do everything in AJAX that asp.net can do?

If anyone has any thoughts, or comments feel free to share, I want to soak in whatever I can get. Hopefully I can stick to my beloved php. ;D

AJAX is just a way for a client-side JavaScript to communicate with a web server. It is totally independent from your server-side language. In fact you don't even need to use the XML format for data you transfer. Just plain text, simple list or CSV would do fine in most cases.

The only tricky thing that you need to learn about AJAX is how to use the XMLHttpRequest API. Otherwise, it's just a (very) simple web browser requesting pages from the web server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.