What OS do you suggest

3rdgear

I'm wanting to run a web server to learn PHP, im wanting Apache Web Sever, MySQL, and an email server.. but to be honest I would like to get away from windows.. in the end im just wanting to learn PHP and other applications that need a server to run and have an area to store data for my website.. (If I ever get around to finishing it..)

any suggestions..

thanks again

J

To be honest I have tried linux a couple of time in the past.. I can get it installed on a pc and get it looking like I want... but im not so good at configuring it or installing software... those 2 major things are holding me back... I guess I just can get away from windows double click and install it for you because your stupid mentality.

To be honest I have tried linux a couple of time in the past.. I can get it installed on a pc and get it looking like I want... but im not so good at configuring it or installing software... those 2 major things are holding me back... I guess I just can get away from windows double click and install it for you because your stupid mentality.

They make it quite easy to install an Apache server with PHP nowadays, to get more people to use Linux-based operating systems.  If you tinkered with it long enough, you'd understand it after a while. =P

If you just want a test server for your code, why not just test on windows. I use Windows XP Pro, php 5.1.2, MySQL 5 and IIS on my personal machine and never had and issues. Granted some function work on one and not the other, but for the most part if it works in windows it will most likely work on linux. It may also depend on what you plan on hosting your site on. I host on windows so I test my code on windows.

It's really a personal preference because PHP really don't care what your hosting on. The code is the code. The functions you use will determine which one. Personally setting up and changing php is a breeze with windows. You want to add a function just put the dll in the folder, uncomment the line and restart the web service. DONE :)

Ray

Well the only issues with windows is... I dont want my primary system my server.. and I cant just go get another copy of xp.. and im not going to use vista..

I have a copy of vista business but I dont have a pc that will run it worth a crap...

thats the only reason I wanted to give linux a try..

I see your point :) Well if thats the case I'm pretty sure 95% of linux distro's will run apache, mysql, php. Just find one to fit your needs and I'm sure there is a tutorial somewhere to get your server running.

Ray

On Debian based distros, installing a LAMP is quite simple (so is it on all other distros which use a package system). Something like:

aptitude install apache2 mysql-server-5.0 libapache2-mod-php5 php5-mysql

(as root)

On Ubuntu you should be able to do tasksel install lamp-server, but I has never worked for me.

Granted some function work on one and not the other, but for the most part if it works in windows it will most likely work on linux. It may also depend on what you plan on hosting your site on.

You could also use cygwin under windows and have everything available to you in windows that you would have in a linux distro

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.