Static IP problem, Fedora 8

atl_andy

I'm going to start here because I think this is a linux issue and not apache.  My LAMP server is running on Fedora 8, with a static ip of 192.168.10.51.  I noticed today that when the server reboots, the ip becomes 192.168.10.143.  A gui under system->network shows a static ip of .51, but ifconfig in a terminal window shows an ip of .143.  Confusion has set in.  How can I have a static ip set, but the system acts as if it is still using dhcp?  Logic told me that ifconfig trumps the gui, and I set the ip back to .51 manually.  Where should I look/what should I change to make the static ip permanent?

Check:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Below is a sample based on a rpm distro:

-bash-3.1# cat ifcfg-eth0

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

# for the documentation of these parameters.

TYPE=Ethernet

DEVICE=eth0

#BOOTPROTO=dhcp

BOOTPROTO=none

ONBOOT=yes

IPADDR=10.0.0.10

NETMASK=255.255.0.0

GATEWAY=10.0.0.1

-steve

You might be aswell to do a:

yum remove dhcp

(do a "yum list installed | grep dhcp" first to see the exact name of the dhcp package installed).

Do you have just the one network card? (try doing: "lspci | grep -i ethernet" to find out. lspci might not work by default on fedora).

It could well be that your gui sits ontop of the sysconfig and changes it after the system boots. I would try removing the dhcp package and then seeing.

-steve

Thanks for your time on this.  I have removed dhcp and it still went to the wrong ip at reboot.  The server does have eth1 as well, but I disabled that a while ago thinking it was interfering.  I'm going to see what networking services are starting at boot and track it down that way.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.