Cron job

art15

Hi,

I want to setup a cron job on my website which can run a php script every 10 days. I have looked at few articles on crontab on google, however I am not clear how I can do it from my windows XP system. Does the command prompt on windows run crontab? Can anyone help me with the approach on how I can setup a cron job.

Thanks

As the guy is talking for a production system and not localhost, not all windows shared hosts provide schedule tasks (talking about what ive read, not from experience as what would i need a windows hosting, for asp? asp.net? lo0o0ol). You should ask your hosting provider. Also one question, is it normal to use windows xp for hosting, instead of 2003 server and such? :o

As the guy is talking for a production system and not localhost, not all windows shared hosts provide schedule tasks (talking about what ive read, not from experience as what would i need a windows hosting, for asp? asp.net? lo0o0ol). You should ask your hosting provider. Also one question, is it normal to use windows xp for hosting, instead of 2003 server and such? :o

Oh man.  @Thread starter: Don't use Windows for serious web hosting.  Please. D:

Oh man.  @Thread starter: Don't use Windows for serious web hosting.  Please. D:

why not?

Linux has better uptimes (in general) and is overall a more reliable system and is less prone to crashes.  My box that I host my own server on has...let me check...a 214 day uptime.  The computer is right next to me.  My bro's Windows comp has a 2 day uptime.

From the Zend website, talking about the collaboration of microsoft and zend on Zend Core for microsoft windows 2008 server:

Integrated into Windows Server 2008 is FastCGI, which represents the maximum possible performance improvement currently available for Zend Core on the Windows platform. These enhancements combine to produce a 200% - 300% improvement in performance over previous versions of PHP for Windows hosted systems – performance that is now comparable to Linux-based PHP servers.

200-300% performance over previous versions for windows, which means that in other distributions of windows, php performs like crap. Performance is now comparable to Linux servers, which means is still lower. Man those are facts from the real guys.

From the Zend website, talking about the collaboration of microsoft and zend on Zend Core for microsoft windows 2008 server:

Integrated into Windows Server 2008 is FastCGI, which represents the maximum possible performance improvement currently available for Zend Core on the Windows platform. These enhancements combine to produce a 200% - 300% improvement in performance over previous versions of PHP for Windows hosted systems – performance that is now comparable to Linux-based PHP servers.

200-300% performance over previous versions for windows, which means that in other distributions of windows, php performs like crap. Performance is now comparable to Linux servers, which means is still lower. Man those are facts from the real guys.

Basically.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.