PHP Source code search

dptr1988

Does anyone know of an program that will allow me to search for terms within a specific part of PHP source code? Like in comments, strings, variable names, etc?

I am needing to rebrand an program, but since the old name is everywhere (500+ files), I am just wanting to search for the old name in strings and outside of the <?php and ?> tags.

Is this someting that I could do with grep/regular expressions? Or is it too hard to make a regular expression that can handle PHP code?

Yes, I know how to use grep or equivalent file content searching programs, like KFileReplace.  I was wondering if there was a regular expression or program that would allow you to search in specific parts of PHP source code like comments, strings, identifiers.

I did find a way to do the rebranding. With a couple of different searches, I was able to find ( hopefully ) all references to that name, but I had to manually sort through hundreds of hits in comments and variable/constant identifiers and that is what I was hoping to avoid.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.