Form to Forum

JukEboX

I have forums and a form. When Someone submits their information I would the system to post the information to my MySQL server as well as create a thread in my forums. Please do not ask why I am doing this. I just would llike to know how to do it. Just tell me where to start. THanks.

Sounds like you need to look into a perl script that can emulate the behavior of a user agent. Start at google looking for WWW::Mechanize

It makes no sense! He just wants to add info to the db.

@JukEboX. First start by telling if it is a custom forum or not. I doubt it being custom as then ud know how to add info to a db :). So being it non-custom, it has its own database structure. Look which table holds the threads and insert the form data to it. It would look like:

<?php
mysql_connect('db_server', 'username', 'password');
mysql_select_db('forum');
if(isset($_POST['info'])){ //see if the form is submitted
   $info = $_POST['info'];
   $results = mysql_query("INSERT INTO threads (title, info) VALUES ('my thread', '$info')");
}
?>

That is the basic way of adding a row into a table. Usually its not as simple as that, as u may have several other fields, like thread starter (user), category/forum, icon, sticky etc.

That "Please do not ask why I am doing this" makes me think u arent thinking of posting at your forums (as it actually doesnt make too much sense, other then being educational). If its so, then dont even try the above script as it wont work.

A few things:

1) phpBB is a very elaborate forum system (I love it) and it should just work...

2) You never really told us what you needed.  At all.

3) You should really learn PHP if you want to customize a phpBB board.  We're helping you for free, but our expertise can only get you so far.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.