Private Messaging System

bam2550

You may remember me from a while back when i asked help about my Private Messaging System. Well its all good now, and i can effectively put in and take out the private message.

My question is now, how can i make it like Invisionfrees/any forum private messaging?

So far my inbox is like this:

[From] admin [subject] Test [Message] Hey.... Test.

And i would like it like

[subject] Test [From] Admin

And the word Test be incoded in a link to lead to a nice little page stating the From, Subject and Message. (Like a forum PM)

I have no clue how to do this... Thanks :)

Make sure your PMs are linked to an ID, then use the ID as a GET Parameter and do 2 pages listing different info sets.  I need too see more of the code you're using to give a more detailed description of how this would be done.

there should be an id field on your message table that auto-increments when a record is added. after you insert a message, you can get the id of that new record using mysql_insert_id() (assuming you're using MySQL):

$sql = "INSERT INTO messages VALUES (NULL,'$message_text');
mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$new_message_id = mysql_insert_id();

1.) I have never seen a PMing system tutorial...

2.) I really do not want to redo this PM system... Through all this debugging and building from scratch (which took me a while, and i learned a lot) I dont want to stop now.

3.) Thanks BlueSky

1.) I have never seen a PMing system tutorial...

2.) I really do not want to redo this PM system... Through all this debugging and building from scratch (which took me a while, and i learned a lot) I dont want to stop now.

1. http://www.pixel2life.com/search/php_coding/Private%20Message/1/ That page lists 2 tutorials.

2. Thats fine, but maybe reading through a tutorial will help explain how the ID system would work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.