POP UP need help please

Orionsbelter

Hi i would like a pop up for my site. i bit like msn messagener like when someone comes online it pops up. i would like to make one like that which also tell my when my users friends are online. but to start with just a basic one saying hello, $username etc.. if anyone knows how to do this please help me:D many thanks:D

an alert will tell them that they themselves just logged in..  

In order for this to work through PHP I believe you would have to refresh the screen say every 10 seconds or so...  

In my mind, I would use a very small iframe (1 x 1), and create a PHP script that loads in that iframe...  this way no one can see the iframe, nor can it be edited...

Then in the script have the page refresh every 10 seconds or so...  and have it run the alert from there if they just logged in which you can figure out by using time()..  if user_intime => time() - 10 { alert 'hey this douchebag just logged in'; }

thats just my quick ramble of a possibility..

thank mate, but i want a box to come up like messenger but thanks anyway

thats still javascript. A box like MSN is a alot more than a few lines. You'll have to really know your way around javascript to do it as good as they have. This type of skill is far above what I am capable of doing. Sorry

radar beat me to the post... His post is a little more helpful than mine though  ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.