Installing Ubuntu

The Little Guy

I have this 10 year old computer (windows 98) I want to completely remove windows from it and install Linux. I am having 2 problems.

1) I have a bootdisk (on CD) it gets to a screen, and it asks for an input, and I don't know what to place in the input.

2) I have Ubuntu Server Edition on a CD, when I insert the CD and choose "Install Linux" It loads the kernel 100% sits there for about 10 extra minutes, then I get an error message saying the there is a disk error (not sure if it is referring to the CD or the Hard Drive).

What can I do to get this to work?

OK, GOT IT! the problem was that for some reason my computer only downloaded half of the iso file, and not the full thing... at least that is what I think happened.

OK, is "Ubuntu Server Edition" all Terminal/Text Command based?

If so, will I be able to do the same thing(s) with Ubuntu Desktop?

The server edition does not include a graphical environment. When you install it, login as root and run this command:

aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

(or kubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop if you'd rather have KDE or Xfce instead of Gnome).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.