Linux server remote desk top

cyberfruits

hi

i am used to a windows server with remote desktop.i now have a linux server(P4 3.06GHz w/HT / 120GB / 1500GB)

Operating System Redhat linux fedora i686 ) with comand line ssh and cpanel witch is fine for running my

current websites but as i have no idea at command line linux stuff and my it person has left iam stuck

instaling new stuff like a music streaming server.i have heard about kde as a solution but is it like windows

so you can install programs on linux with it so i can run it as a server?or is there a better different packake

i can use and do i install it?

You could install a desktop on the server but then in order to access it, you would also need to be running an X server on your local system. eg; You would need to be running linux locally.

Also, I wouldn't recommend installing something as large as KDE, if you really much have a desktop Id use something allot more minimal like fluxbox are at most xfce4.

The more programs you install on a server the more potential there is for a fulnerability to be found and desktops like gnome and kde are huge, and you also need to install all the X server libs.

You can easily run desktop applications through ssh without installing an entire desktop, however, as I said, you still need to be running X on the client.

As said kde and gnome are more for desktops. Don't waste the processing power or for that matter the bloat that both gnome and kde bring along. I would use xfce4 for this if you have to. You can also run just the xserver and install an app on your workstation that will connect to your linux server but the desktop will actaully display on your windows workstation. If your interested I can dig up the article that I used to do this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.