2 sql statements in one function

sanderphp

I'm trying to run 2 sql statements in one function.  Is this where I am supposed to use a join?  I haven't ever needed to do run 2 statements before but I'm trying to display the name on the same page.

$sql_user_data="SELECT * FROM info WHERE rider_id = '$rider_id' ORDER by date ";
  $sql_rider_name = "SELECT cyclist FROM riders WHERE id ='$rider_id'";

// this statement actually executes the sql
  $result = mysql_query($sql_user_data) or die("ERROR! user_data".mysql_error($dataConn));
$result_name = mysql_query($sql_rider_name) or die("ERROR! rider_name".mysql_error($dataConn));

What you have there is perfectly legitimate, however, depending on what your goal is, you could conceivably use something like JOIN to streamline your results.  Offhand, it looks like you have two separate tables, one for account info and one for "game" or "content" info and the info from each table for the user has the common denominator of if rider_id and id (it looks like each table holds the same information).  So, you could possibly use something like JOIN, INNER JOIN, LEFT JOIN, etc.. (lookup relational databases) to streamline. 

I'm going to go ahead and move this to the sql forum though, as those guys over there are much more knowledgeable in that area.

SELECT r.cyclist FROM info AS i 
INNER JOIN riders AS ON (  r.id =  i.rider_id )
WHERE i.rider_id = '$rider_id' 
ORDER by i.date

Though I would change the name of your date field, since DATE is a reserved keyword.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.