[SOLVED] my site is like under attack

acidglitter

or something.

since yesterday, everytime i try to go to my site it won't load. i've tried logging ip addresses, and for one ip address, it viewed the home page 1,500 times in less than 24 hours. i'm wondering if its some kind of computer program to hack my site? i have no idea what could be happening. does anyone have any ideas for how to fix this? its incredibly important i get my site running again.

(i tried blocking the ip btw..)

1500 hits in 24 hours isn't much.  That's a far cry from a DoS attack.  I'm betting PHPFreaks gets more than that per minute, so I doubt that that IP is causing all your problems. Check the CPU usage on the server. if you're on shared hosting, someone may be overdoing something. If you host your own, check your running processes.

i have the ip addresses saved, and if that ip tried to view the site, the site would stop loading

And you are unable to load the site...?

Are you sure 1) It is not your IP, 2) Assuming it is not your IP, that your "fix" is only blocking that IP?

thanks for all of the replies!

i just tried blocking it from cpanel. i know for sure its not my ip address. and i'm not sure if this has helped. i emailed my server and they said that there was a problem with the mysql database so they restarted it and they said it worked after that, but i went to my site now and its down again. one of the mysql tables is used on the homepage and half of the site. so if someone is messing with that then my whole site is basically down. and i have been able to view other pages that don't use that table. ugh :(

and i tried looking up that ip. i have no idea who it is.

if the pages that don't connect/use your db work and the ones that do use it do not work, then first off, what do you mean by "they don't work?" getting any kind of error messages?  Go back to cpanel verify that your info hasn't been changed.  Look in the scripts that connect to the db and see if that info hasn't been changed. (I would go ahead and change your info regardless, just to be safe).

You'll have to troubleshoot whatever page you're trying to display then. 

First off, comment out all your PHP codes so they dont run and try it as a plain HTML page.  If that works, then it must be part of your PHP code. 

Second, comment out all of your codes that deals with any sql queries.  If the page displays without error, then it must be part of the Mysql syntax and/or the data.  If you're 100% sure your sql syntax is all correct, then the error must be coming from your data.  You'll have to use PHPMyadmin or something similar to try to weed out injected codes from bots that contain characters that can cause syntax errors within sql queries (this happened to me before).

If you've tried all those steps already and still no luck, then hopefully you'll find the answer soon.

i'm sorry i meant all of the pages using one of the mysql tables won't load. if you go to them the browswer tries to load it for maybe a minute then gives up and just leaves a blank page. there aren't any php or mysql errors. what i think is somehow someone is executing one of the queries so much that its like wearing out the database so it won't load for anyone else. is that possible?

i suspect you're using a shared database and that the database is overloaded from too many users sharing it. it's probably nothing to do with your site or your code; the database itself is overloaded with too many users besides (and including) you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.