echo get_class() . '<br />'; // outputs 'Model', not mUser
      echo self::$test; // outputs 'hello', not 'goodbye'
   }
}

class mUser extends Model
{
   static $test = 'goodbye';
}

does anyone know how it's possible to get the final class name (ie, 'mUser') from within my table method? calling mUser::table() outputs results i'm not really interested in...it's important for me to keep the child classes as empty and basic as possible, so if anyone has a clue or any clean workarounds, let me know  ;)

Cheers

Mark

i tried the get_class($this) already. googling around seems to show up many of the same issues, but any fixes suggested are very hacky.

upgrading PHP now to a dev version now - PHP5.3 at least will be released by the time i've finished developing this bitch of a project lol . at least then i can upgrade my live server so my dev stuff will work, which has been the only thing that's stopped me so far.

just to report back - the new 'static' reference does in fact work. Tried on PHP6 so assuming 5.3 would be fine too

<?php
class A
{
function test() {
	echo static::$hello;
}
}
class B extends A {
static $hello = 'hello world';
}
B::test(); // outputs hello world
?>

whilst playing around with this, and seeing all the issues i've had in versions prior to 5.3, i'm pretty excited about the final release.

Oooh, namespaces.

I've never understood the need for late static bindings. It's probably one of those things that at some point I thought 'that would be nice' but I just worked around.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.