online store

thosecars82

Hello there

I would like to hear your suggestions about this:

When someone comes to the point of wanting to design an online store, what is the best choice? I guess I could start from 0, doing it with mysql, php and appache. But, I just thought that may be, there is some kind of already made software for this kind of website which is easily customizable.

What I mean is: there are a lot of times when we end up doing things that were already done in the past and may be it is not worth it to devote time to that task because there is already a software which does that. For example, to make a forum, you can use SFM, or to make a blog you can use wordpress, etc. That is the kind of software that I might be asking for but this time with reference to online stores. If there is nothing, it is ok, then I will start it from 0.

Thanks for all.

I think there are some applications like OSCommerce, CubeCart, ZenCart. Nevertheless I do not know which one is the most standard. Moreover, I was looking for some application which was made like a framework to build upon instead of as a rigid application.

Another question, I have seen some offers of  companies which sell this online stores for like 1700euros. They make the online store for you. I just was wondering whether they develop this kind of site from 0 or they use some kind of framework.

Another question, I have seen some offers of  companies which sell this online stores for like 1700euros. They make the online store for you. I just was wondering whether they develop this kind of site from 0 or they use some kind of framework.

for that sort of price, and seeing how much work is involved in a decent cart, i'd say that it's 99% certain they build around an existing one.

Well, that reply is really useful to me. I guess they might be using available software like OSCommerce, CubeCart, ZenCart or any other of their own. But the interesting thing is that they are not starting that without an already made software of this kind.

Thanks a lot.

I would be pretty pissed off if I paid someone 1700 euros ($2640) to make me an online store and found out they just slapped a new face onto something like cubecart, zencart, etc... not that I have anything against those but I'm not paying that much money for what amounts to a custom design only job.  Well, maybe if I was a high profile company hiring a high profile person/company, I'd consider it.

But I would not be pissed off if I paid that much and someone used a prefab CMS/framework and went off that...but it had better be damn good. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.