PHPWebsite Help?

milla4da8killa

Ok, as some know, I'm making a website and using PHPWebsite but putting a load of addons onto it and stripping it here and there to get it the way I need it. Right now I'm struggling with the database. One of the major things is that I'll be adding a money code for the website which I want to store with their usernames and passwords, but don't know how I can do this?

Need help figuring out how to set up the database or accessing the current one with the usernames and such and what to do to it, howt o add a new column and such. Again, I'm still new to this all but I pick up fast so once this is done I shouldn't be needing much more help.

You mention not knowing how to access a database, put a new column in it, etc.. I think you need to stop what you're doing, take a deep breath, and just start with the basics.  You can probably B.S. your way through a whole lot of what you're trying to do, but without a fuller understanding of what's going on, things are going to go wrong in a million different places and it's going to all blow up in your face and you're not going to have a clue on what to do to fix it.  You'll end up being one of those people who post pages of code on some forum saying "It doesn't work," and people will just ignore your thread because that's the completely wrong way to go about asking for help and you'll get angry and then depressed and start drinking and one night you'll find yourself lying in the gutter in the rain wondering what happened with your life and then some car is going to pass by and splash muddy water in your face and let me tell you, that just sucks. 

people will just ignore your thread because that's the completely wrong way to go about asking for help and you'll get angry and then depressed and start drinking and one night you'll find yourself lying in the gutter in the rain wondering what happened with your life and then some car is going to pass by and splash muddy water in your face and let me tell you, that just sucks.

Speaking from experience? :D

Just to add to what Crayon said, if you have no understanding of what you're doing, and modifying an existing system then you're most likely going to fail. Especially adding lots of plugins while you have no clue about what effects they may have, and how to resolve the problems if they occur.

Crayon,

you again get the gold star for creative sarcasm. I love it. maybe I should take a lesson from you in retorts instead of my way earlier :)

I have nothing to add to the original post, just wanted to award Crayon his gold star today.

Running Count: 2 Gold Stars for Crayon. <-- that I have awarded anyway.... the actual count would probably in the hundreds.

Nate

lol, nice. And I have some clue as to what I'm doing. As I stated in an earlier topic, I learn by dumping myself into it really. I learn fastest this way  and if I mess it up I have enough of an understanding to fix it at least. =P

I just haven't gotten into databases much yet, so they're a bit confusing to me still. And I'm making a website for a Flight Simulator group, and virtual money (e-money) is used, which is what I'm working on right now. And I'm using PHPWebsite and adding stuff to it and such.

people will just ignore your thread because that's the completely wrong way to go about asking for help and you'll get angry and then depressed and start drinking and one night you'll find yourself lying in the gutter in the rain wondering what happened with your life and then some car is going to pass by and splash muddy water in your face and let me tell you, that just sucks.

Classic :D

lol, nice. And I have some clue as to what I'm doing. As I stated in an earlier topic, I learn by dumping myself into it really. I learn fastest this way  and if I mess it up I have enough of an understanding to fix it at least. =P

Learning by 'dumping yourself into it' really is the easiest way to learn bad habits you aren't even aware you have.

Every night before I go to bed I stand in front of a mirror and congratulate myself for being the master of the universe.

That's getting quoted in my sig.

hahahahaha  I was contemplating putting the whole drunk in a gutter quote in my sig.

I gotta award another star.  lol

I know very well about that, and that I could start bad habbits but I make sure I look into everything see how everyone else is doing it, etc. before doing it myself. Besides, I could have easily found a random script somewhere to do this but instead I chose to come here and get help. I would rather learn how to do it and use those other sources to look over and see how they accomplished this and that and how I could possibly improve on their scripts.

Every night before I go to bed I stand in front of a mirror and congratulate myself for being the master of the universe.

I'm sorry but the title still has to stick with Derek Smart... you're a pretty close second though.

It hardly ever works out like that.  Learning it for real is better than modifying pre-existing scripts.  You learn so much through writing your own scripts (and you learn how to (and how not to...) debug). =P

Yeah, that's what I meant. I write my own scripts but I use others as like basis. Seeing how they did this and that and such, then work off that. Like learning guitar if you have ever played it. You learn some other songs, scales, see what makes what good and you look at others pieces of work and then see what they did and shuch, then work off that and make your own stuff. I do everything on my own and rarely use others scripts. The only time I do do that is like using PHPWebsite in this case.

Well I mean I've been looking into PHP and such past few weeks. I have't touched much on MySQL, I know stuff like SELECT * FROM (column 2, row 3) or however that last part goes, lol.

I just don't get how excactly I could add to the already existing databse which is why I came to ask that here. Of course, believ eme, I'm looking it up elsewhere but I figured I'ld try to get a quicker better answer here instead of reading through a bunch of sites which may not even be correct.

What do you mean by "add to the existing database"?  That could mean a few things, lol.

Lol, explaining again. Well, I have the database where the usernames and password are stored for PHPWEbsite, but I want to add in a new column in there so that along with the username being there and their password and junk, it would also list their e-money. A virtual money which will be used to purchase stuff on the website and junk, it's a game so not real money. Once I figre out how to do that I can simply do the SELECT * FROM ($user_row) or something so that when they do stuff it would let them bank stuff and junk like that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.