Running a Korn Script from PHP

Dragoa

I'm using PHP 5.2.6, with an Apache2 server running off of a HP-UX 11 box, and I'm trying to call a korn script[pretty sure it's a korn script] from PHP, but it fails and errors out at the line "#!/bin/ksh -n"[so right at the beginning, I'm positive it's this line, since I have this line and this line only in another file and it still returns an error]

The error status I get is 138, I have no idea what this means[if anyone has a list of what the PHP exit statuses are I'd be greatly appreciative, I constantly get these exit statuses and I have no idea what they mean and I can't seem to find anything online that has a list of what these things are...]

Also: If I remove the "#!/bin/ksh -n" from the script, it runs fine.

Any help?

I didn't write the script I'm calling, I can't really modify it without going through the process of modifying the rest of the scripts to do the same thing. Besides I have a hunch that whatever this problem is will arise again soon as I do a proper starting of my apache server(#!/usr/bin/perl wasn't working before, but now it magically started working)

On the box I'm running the server off of korn is installed, but I haven't installed korn to the Apache Server itself.

Whatever that meens. Is korn installed on the server 9the machine I meen) or not? And if it is, is it located in /bin ?

I'm using box to mean the machine that runs programs(while you seem to be using server for this). And I'm using server in reference to the Apache Client itself[just clarifying this to make further communication a bit easier].

But to respond again. My computer does have KSH installed, and it is located correctly. Permissions look like they're fine for the ksh file. I have not compiled/configured Apache in any special way to actually run KSH specifically.

PHP Page[Just the line that calls the code, everything before and after it is just functionality for the page and has no interaction with this line]:

echo passthru("/users/dwloader/lee/web/tmp/job_env2", $result);

job_env2:

#!/bin/ksh -n
print "Hi";

Removing the #!/bin/ksh -n line from job_env2 gives me the proper result[$result = 0 here]. While right now it just fails and returns and $result  = 138.

I'm using box to mean the machine that runs programs(while you seem to be using server for this). And I'm using server in reference to the Apache Client itself[just clarifying this to make further communication a bit easier].

Yeah sorry, I refer to the entire machine running services (apache) as a server.

With the information you have provided its my opinion that this isn't at all a php issue. PHP is passing execution to your shell just fine, hence your recieving a shell error and not a php one.

Can you execute this script from a terminal without issue?

Yes, just tried it and it functions just fine.

Although it seems adding the flag -n causes it to do nothing, which is odd considering the script I'm trying to run runs whenever I open up a new x-term window and sets up my environment and it works just fine there. But I tried removing the -n flag and running it from the PHP page again and still nothing, $result is still 138.

Tried exec, turns out that I might be able to straight up remove the #!/bin/ksh line, but I'd prefer not to since whenever I add more functionality it requires a lot of changing.

Alright from my user terminal I get: /bin/ksh

Using an exec command from a PHP Page I get: /usr/bin/ksh

Both of these files exist, both are the same when compared via a comp.

Also some testing that was done yesterday: renaming the sh file to ksh, netted a successful running with #!/bin/ksh. So it seems to me that there is something in ksh that is not agreeing with PHP.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.