Euro 2008

I'm not a big football (soccer to yanks, football to the rest of the world) fan, but I always tune in for European and World championships.

This European Cup promises to be something special for my hometeam! The Dutch, which are doing amazingly well, beat world champions Italy 3-0 and runners up France by 4-1. Whoooooooooooooooooot!!!! :P

But seriously, world class games to watch and I still can't really believe the Orange are finally living up to the promise..

Again, simply whooot!  ;D

i've been keeping up with it a bit more this time, even though England are not taking part. As a big Liverpool fan and a big fan of Torres (though I appreciate Fabregas too), I'm following Spain in this one but - have to say - the Dutch are looking dangerous. I watched that game and it just looked far too easy - and playing against the likes of France and Italy, that's just nuts.

Still - Spain or Holland to win (what a final if they both get that far!), David Villa to be top scorer and France to finish on the receiving end of the biggest whooping of the tournament. Hoping Kuyt gets on some sort of a role - that dude is one hard worker but I reckon that a decent run and some goals for Holland will do his confidence, and Liverpool next season, some good.

I've managed to watch a few games.

Fortunately, i've seen some pretty decent ones too. I watched most of Holland's two games and quite a bit of Portugal's games. I've missed both of Spain's though, which is annoying.

Been very impressed with Holland. Absolutely fantastic to watch -- i'd been losing a bit of interest in football just recently, so it's been nice to see some great games. I just wonder wether or not things will be so easy in a much tighter game; the've been amazing going forward, but I think they've been helped by how open the games have been. I also think there are a few question marks over their defence (though Van der Sar looks top-notch at the moment).

I was quite disappointed that Henry didn't score last night with his attempted lift over the keeper...it would have been one hell of a goal!

I watched that game and it just looked far too easy - and playing against the likes of France and Italy, that's just nuts.

That's just it: it wasn't easy. Not against Italy and most certainly not against France. IMO, the last two wins can be attributed to sheer labour, team effort AND individual quality. After the 1-0 against France we were in serious trouble, but van Basten turned the game around by taking out the poorly preforming Engelaar and putting in two of our most valuable attacking players, van Persie and Robben. Offence is the best defence, the 1988 dominator must have thought. After that, the game changed into the gem that it was.

Still - Spain or Holland to win (what a final if they both get that far!), David Villa to be top scorer and France to finish on the receiving end of the biggest whooping of the tournament. Hoping Kuyt gets on some sort of a role - that dude is one hard worker but I reckon that a decent run and some goals for Holland will do his confidence, and Liverpool next season, some good.

My money is on Portugal - Netherlands. But I'm not exactly an expert, and even if I was, those get it wrong all time too ;)

I just wonder wether or not things will be so easy in a much tighter game; the've been amazing going forward, but I think they've been helped by how open the games have been. I also think there are a few question marks over their defence (though Van der Sar looks top-notch at the moment).

Again, nothing easy about the last two wins, but well earned nonetheless. On the defence, Ooijer and in particular Boulahrouz we're looking pretty good IMO. Against France the midfield collapsed due to the extreme France pressure and Engelaar looking like he was stumbling over his own stilts. The coach has shown faith in Engelaar, referring to him as 'an asset' after the game against Italy, but personally I wasn't to impressed with his performance then, either. Personally I just think he wants some muscle in field, missing a defender of the Jaap Stam calibre. Probably after this game, van Basten will try something else in the starting line-up.

But, both games were won with counter attacks, something that indeed might not be easy against a swift defence, or impossible against a purely defensive playing team.

We will probably be facing Sweden in the quarter finals (unless our own Guus Hiddink can stunt with Russia), and assuming Boulahrouz or Heitinga can take the angle out of Ibrahimovic, I think we will see the semi's.

I was quite disappointed that Henry didn't score last night with his attempted lift over the keeper...it would have been one hell of a goal!

I didn't quite share that disappointment ;) I don't think it would've been THAT good either, best thing about it was the brilliant pass.

But admittedly we were very lucky to escape with only one goal by the French.

Yes, i would agree about Boulahrouz. Im pretty sure that's not the same player that's been at Chelsea! I just felt that at, at times, France split open the defence a little too easily. Perhaps you're right about the problems stemming from midfield though.

Oh, redbull, it can't be a Spain - Holland final; they're on the same side of the draw. From what's been seen so far, I guess a Portugal vs Spain/Holland final looks pretty likely.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.