Noob - Help please *embarrassing*

Torey

Hi, all.  My name is Torey and I'm pleased to be a part of the forum with all of you.  :)

I am quite new to web development and had hoped to install Apache 2.2.8 on my old Windows 98SE machine to help me.

My dilemma is that Apache seems to not be running, or at least the small indicator icon for the monitoring service in the system tray says that it's not.

I have tried reading the Apache product documentation, but it seems so alien to me.  I don't understand how to use commands and where to type them...my console window (upon opening) has a flashing cursor, but I can't type anything in the box.  After trying, my computer beeps every time I try to press a key when in the console window.

Upon opening the console window via the Windows Start menu > Programs > Apache 2.2.8 > Control Apache > Start in Console, the small icon does not display the green "play" symbol and still says that Apache is not running.

I try to open the monitoring service and start Apache, but there is nothing listed and all of the "start" or "restart" buttons are greyed out. 

When I tested the server by opening up a browser window and pointing it to "http://localhost/" it displays the "It works!" message.  So I'm even further confused.

I cannot even shut Apache down by "X"-ing out of the console window as I'm told to exit via the program.  I have no idea what to do and would be most grateful if someone could help me.

When I tested the server by opening up a browser window and pointing it to "http://localhost/" it displays the "It works!" message.  So I'm even further confused.

That indicates that apache is running after all. Sorry however, but the rest of your issues seem very windows specific and I'm not a windows user.

Ahhh that's excellent to know that it's running at the least.  :)  Blessings to you for your help!  I am installing Linux soon and it may be a better working environment at any rate.  I appreciate it as I've gotten no help from elsewhere.  Thanks so much.

Now all you really need do is find your server document root and place your files within it. You should be able to find the location of your server document root by searching your httpd.conf file for a directive called DocumentRoot.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.