Joomla!

Derleek

Do you use Joomla! or other CMS's for your web development projects?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Joomla! or other CMS's for your web development projects?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes
    • joom-who?

So me and my buddy are starting a web design company.  I am the coder with some decent experience with C++ and now php/mysql he is a very knowledgeable computer guy who is working on more design stuff. 

He stumbled upon Joomla! several months ago when he was venturing out on his own.  I am wondering the pro's and con's to using a system like joomla! to develop a rather wide range of websites (from modeling pages to lawyers and out from there).

I'm going to be up front.  Like many other coders, i am lazy... i don't really want to mess with other peoples crappy templates, so i'm debating weather we should use Joomla! as the base for all (or at least some or most) of our projects.  meaning we would have to develop a templates on our own...

i know basically nothing about Joomla! and he knows nothing about coding, so considering i can code all of the features i have seen, and likely most that i haven't, is it worth using this CMS?

we are using... (kinda using anyways) joomla 1.5...

i don't really want to mess with other peoples crappy templates

Exactly the reason why I won't use Joomla! (who puts punctuation in the name of their software anyways?) nor any other pre-made content management system for anything. I don't want to deal with other people's crap.

You'll end up modifying a lot of things so I think you're better off just starting with one of the large frameworks and custom building it from the start.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.