Help! Starting Apache and using PHP problem.

Right, trying to get on with my new PHP book, but I need all this jazz installed, Apache mySQL and PHP... Anyway after a long time actually installing them all it finally seemed to be over, so I try out the first test PHP file with simply

<?php echo("test?"); ?>

Which should of course just show "test?", first time I tried it it just showed the entire source code... So I reinstalled apache and it did the configuration properly as it says, it then started to just show a blank white page no sign of "test?"... So I read on and noticed I had to reboot my computer, so I did! Come back in, get everything open again and the apache server will NOT start now... One fu- eh problem after the next, every time I try to start it, it simply says "the process failed!" or something similar.

I'm going to pull my hair out over this, can someone help me out?

So much unnecessary crap for something I could simply use a hoasted web server for… But nevertheless better to have it local I suppose.

EDIT: Error log says:

"Syntax error on line 128 of C:/Apache/Apache2.2/conf/httpd.conf:

Invalid command 'AddModule', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration"

The book told me to use the "AddModule" even though I didn't see any other "AddModule" only "LoadModule"... It told me to add:

"LoadModule php5_module C:/php/php5apache.dll

AddModule mod_php5.c

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml"

Firstly, you do realise that LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySql and PHP ? Just it seems your using windows.

So much unnecessary crap for something I could simply use a hoasted web server for… But nevertheless better to have it local I suppose.

If you want to develop PHP you need the right tools but if you really can't be bothered and just want to get on with things (understandable) you might have better luck with something like Xampp. This will install and configure everything you need to get started.

Firstly, you do realise that LAMP stands for Linux, Apache, MySql and PHP ? Just it seems your using windows.

If you want to develop PHP you need the right tools but if you really can't be bothered and just want to get on with things (understandable) you might have better luck with something like Xampp. This will install and configure everything you need to get started.

Sorry about that! I know it is the Linux area and I am using windows, I thought I had posted in the WAMP forum. Apologies...

I suppose I'll give that XAMPP a go! Two questions though, should I uninstall all the apache, PHP and mysql before installing XAMPP? Also it says it has things like perl etc, can i specify which to install?

Thanks!

should I uninstall all the apache, PHP and mysql before installing XAMPP?

Yes, uninstall anything you have already attempted.

can i specify which to install?

Im not exactly sure as Ive never used it. I'm a Linux user.

Can you possibly move this to the WAMP forum?

Why would trying to load a php file in the htdocs directory either show as a white page, or "internet explorer cannot display this webpage" it's normally when I'm trying to execute mysql commands in the script...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.