need to check db table for author, and if author does not match up, do not allow

bradkenyon

I have an update function w/ a query of this:

$queryupd = "select * from calendar_items where id = $id";

I list the data into the update form, from the table calendar_items.

I want to restrict it, so only the person who created the calendar item (event), will be able to update it.

I have an author column w/i the calendar_items table.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

$queryupd = "select * from calendar_items where id = $id AND author = $HTTP_SESSION_VARS['valid_username']";

I wanted it to be almost an if statement, "if you're not the author of this event, then print out msg saying: You do not have the right to edit this event."

<?php

// connect

$sql = "SELECT * FROM calendar_items WHERE id = $id AND author = '{$_SESSION['valid_username']}'";
  if ($result = mysql_query($sql)) {
    if (mysql_num_rows($result)) {
      // do the update
    } else {
      // display your unauthorised message
    }
  }

?>

• 1 month later...

currently it is:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM calendar_items WHERE id = $id AND author = '{$_SESSION['valid_username']}'";

would it be?

$sql = "SELECT * FROM calendar_items WHERE id = $id AND author = '{$_SESSION['valid_username']}' AND user_level = '1'";

user_level being a super user account.

No, you'd need to make sure that the user trying to access it had the right user level.  Read up on joins.

SELECT * FROM calendar_items INNER JOIN users ON users.user_id = {$_SESSION['user_id']} WHERE users.user_level >= calendar_items.user_level;

Possibly.  Read up on it and tailor it to your needs.

@thorpe:

Your sql query did the trick, and I made a modification to the update process, only allowing the original author to make an update to their original post.

here is the other post (i think you might have a good idea what might be going wrong) i opened up for help, any help would be appreciated.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,211395.0.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.