[SOLVED] prefix a primary id with username

coolphpdude

I've found a potential future problem with my code. at present i have a teachers table and a lesson table. I have a teacher unique id which is their login id. for the lessons i just have it set to integer auto-increment. I was planning on letting the table automatically assign id's for the lesson upon adding a new row. however, ive thought of a potential problem which could be corrected using a prefix to the lesson id of the username. So far example

user = bob

ID        Lesson            Teacher

bob1  =  english    =    Bob Smith

bob2  =  maths      =    Bob Smith

bob3  =  french    =    Bob Smith

user = Joe

ID        Lesson          Teacher

joe1  =  english    =    joe Smith

joe2  =  maths      =    joe Smith

joe3  =  french    =    joe Smith

Rather than...

ID    Lesson          Teacher

1  =  english    =    Bob Smith

2  =  maths      =    Bob Smith

3  =  french    =    Bob Smith

4  =  english    =    joe Smith

5  =  maths      =    joe Smith

6  =  french    =    joe Smith

How would i make this happen? As i mentioned above im currently using an auto-incrementing integer field for the ID.

If your using an auto incrementing field (as you should) then you can't append anything to it.

Seems to me you need to look into some database normalization techniques. There's an entire chapter dedicated to it in the Hudzilla link in my sig.

Well, i've read that, and i do understand it. I've got my tables broken down in my opinion perfectly. The information i gave above is just a very basic stripped down example. I just need help on creating an id that consists of...

username(1)

username(2)

username(3)

username(9865056486)

etc...

yeah pretty much. the problem is that i am running a message table. the message can correspond to records on 1 of 5 different tables. each one of the 5 tables runs a primary id with the structure of auto-incrementing integer... however the message needs to display some of the information from the record. Now say for example we have got table A, B, C, D, E. Each table will have 10 rows so each will have existing primary ID's of 1-10. If a teacher receives a message and the message needs to contain information about record 3 from table E then there is nothing to distinguish that. If i run a search query to select all records where ID = 3 FROM tables A B C D E (i know this is not the correct syntax) then there are 5 records with the same primary id... do you get me? Although that primary ID might be unique to that table it won't be unique accross my database. where if i had the ID as A1, A2, A3, etc... or similar then it would be unique within my database.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.