[SOLVED] Query Help

What i am trying to do is get all videos where the game has a console of #123, and has a group of #12345.

Now i have to do it differently because the consoles are not in the video table, they are in the game table.

SELECT

video.groups,video.randname,games.consoles,video.timestamp,video.id

FROM

video,

games

WHERE

video.groups LIKE "%12345%"

AND

games.consoles LIKE "%123%"

LIMIT 3

That query is, when i do while($row=mysql_fetch_array...etc, outputting 3 of the same video randnames. It outputs 3 of the same video id's.

Help please?

Tables:

table: video

important rows:

id int(30)

randname int(8)

gameid int(10)

groups text

table: games

id int(30)

name text

consoles text

Samples:

Games:

id: 8

name: Half Life 2

consoles: 4,8,9

Video:

id: 6

randname: 57954341

gameid: 8

groups: 78239

Now i want to get all videos which it's game has the console number 4, and that are in the group 78239. I can get the group, but getting the console of the game is different, i'm not sure how to do it.

well i normally i would create another table for consoles and link it in..

but you could do this

SELECT video.id, games.id, video.groups,video.randname,games.consoles,video.timestamp
FROM
video, games
WHERE
video.groups LIKE "%12345%"
AND
CONCAT(',', games.consoles, ',') LIKE "%,4,%"
GROUP BY video.id, games.id
LIMIT 3

basically it changes "4,8,9" to ",4,8,9," then looks for [something],4,[something]

this works better as [something]4[something] would find 4 or 40 or 14, and if we don't concat the comma's then 1,2,3,4 wouldn't work (no trailing comma)

Two things --- first, DISTINCT is not a function, it's a modifier to SELECT; it filters out rows where ALL field values in the column list match.  Very different than GROUP BY.  Second, you can use FIND_IN_SET() if you values are comma separated without all that string manipulation.  But it's a bad idea to store lists in fields.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.