Functions help

NathanLedet

I would like to re-structure a project management site I've been working on.  The way I currently have it is very difficult to follow and not very upgradable.

For instance, each action that I take, a new page has to be created. 

Example: If i'm on AddressBook.php and I want to add someone to my address book, I have addressbook_add.php or if i want to delete someone, i have addressbook_delete.php.  Each file querys the database and I have a lot of junk everywhere...it's complicated to follow.

What I would rather do is use functions in a manner that I've seen used before, where it's something like admin.php?pg=main and for my addressbook I would use somthing like admin.php?pg=addaddress and deleting would be like admin.php?pg=deleteaddress&id=23 where 23 is the ID of the person being removed from the address book.

So instead of having numerous pages, I have only admin.php which calls up an external functions file.  Inside that file contains all of my functions which do whatever they need.

Where can I start?

Well you need admin.php. Then I would suggest putting the other files in another directory called "pages" or "includes" or something.

Then in your admin.php, where you want the content to appear you would have this:

if(!isset($_GET['pg'])){
$pg = "defaultpage";
}else{
$pg = $_GET['page'];
}

if(file_exists("includes/".$pg.".php")){
include("includes/".$pg.".php");
}else{
//They tried to access a page that does not exist
//Include your 404 error page
}

Good luck!

i would try looking at wordpress's code, their create, and edit pages are the same and pretty sweet when you look at the code, its kinda over my head in general and they use all their own functions, but if you look at it for 15 minutes or so you might get some ideas

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.